chapter twenty eight - a meeting with the Queen

Upon reading the latest edition of Whistledown, Daphne was sufficiently pleased at society’s response to her brother’s engagement and had chosen to move on to the next stage of her plan

Aurora had initially anticipated this plan to be a simple one stage process but, alas, Daphne had soon corrected her by informing her that there were indeed several stages to the deception and that each one had to be completed to perfection.

Aurora was not particularly pleased upon hearing this.

The next element in Daphne’s elaborate plan was for the couple to visit the Queen in order to display their affections for each other. She informed the pair that the Queen had already invited herself and Simon for a private luncheon and so this would be the perfect opportunity for Anthony and Aurora to demonstrate this.

“Remind me again why I agreed to this?” Whispered Aurora to the Duchess as they walked hastily through the halls of Hamden Court Palace.

“Would you rather be marrying Lord Harding?” Was Daphne’s teasing response.

Aurora laughed, “ah yes, that was the reason.”

A few paces behind them, the Duke and the Viscount had fallen into easy conversation.

“Look at that dog, isn’t it hideous” remarked Simon, pointing to one of the Queen’s many balls of fluff.

Anthony snorted.

“Daphne always wanted one as a child”

“No!” Gasped Simon, “I’m glad she doesn’t anymore.”

“Don’t lie Hastings, if my sister wanted one of those beasts you’d end up buying her twelve.”

Simon went to make a rebuttal but paused, realising that Anthony was indeed correct.

“Wait until you’re married, then you’ll see.” Was his response.

“I believe the correct word would be whipped?” Anthony smirked.

“You’re lucky we’re in a palace or I’d punch you so hard right now.”

The Viscount opened his mouth to further tease his friend when he was interrupted by the Queen herself. He suddenly looked around, not realising that they had arrived in the throne room.

It was a red room, accented with white and gold - much like the rest of the Palace. The room itself was relatively empty aside from a giant throne which sat atop a small podium. On the throne was splayed Queen Charlotte in all her usual extravagance.

“The new Viscountess Bridgerton, I’ve heard so much about you both. I hope you live up to my expectations.” The Queen eyed them warily.

“As do I, your highness” was Aurora’s calm response.

Anthony could not help but look at her in surprise. He had never seen her so collected, she was either rushing about or shouting at him. In fact, he found her calamity even more terrifying.

“Well, let me see the two of you together. I cannot judge the match when you are stood so far apart. Anyone would think you hated each other!”

Aurora nearly snorted at the last sentence. It hit a little too close to the mark.

The pair moved forward and stood beside each other. They were so close that Anthony’s hand accidentally brushed against her gloved one.

She pretended not to have notice but he had seen the way she tensed at his touch. For some reason it made him feel content.

“Yes, you make an attractive pair. You know, it was not one year ago that the Duke and Duchess came to me and stood right where you are now. Of course the circumstances are rather different, but I still remember his lovesick speech. Are you here to make one of your own Lord Bridgerton?”

Anthony’s eyes widened at the prospect of declaring his (nonexistent) love for the girl stood beside him.

He had to cough to steady himself.

“No - no your highness I am not.”

The Queen looked genuinely disappointed whilst Aurora looked nothing less than relieved.

“Well that is a shame. I do love to see-“

She was interrupted by a comment which no one in the room (especially Anthony) anticipated.

“She’s very intelligent” he said really quite loudly.

Aurora turned to look at him in utter horror. She was, to be entirely honest, very concerned.

The Queen merely smirked and nodded her head to go on, whilst Daphne and Simon stood in the background, thoroughly humoured by the Viscount’s discomfort.

“I only mean to say that I think her intelligence to be a very admirable quality. I didn’t appreciate it at first.” He turned to look at Aurora. “Sorry about that” he commented sheepishly.

Aurora could do nothing but laugh.

“It’s alright” she managed between giggles, “I thought you boring and - well - I couldn’t have been more wrong.”

The other three persons present in the room were astonished by their conversation - notably Simon who (in all his years of friendship with Aurora) had never once seen her giggle in conversation with a man.

He whispered silently into Daphne’s ear.

“Do you see what I am seeing or have I finally gone mad?”

“We must have gone mad together, this cannot possibly be actually happening!”

“Do you think they are in love?”

Both husband and wife were carefully observing the pair as they continued on their conversation with the Queen.

Daphne was ready to say ‘no’ however upon considering them carefully, she came to the conclusion that the feelings between the pair had shifted greatly.

“yes. But I do not think they know it yet.”

*****

Can I just say that this story hit 50,000 reads yesterday which is absolutely astonishing - I would never have anticipated such a positive reaction!

Honestly, reading your comments are so lovely and I do truly find it incredibly amusing seeing what your predictions are for the story.

Stay safe and thank you
Valentia x