chapter twenty five - early wedding plans

Later that afternoon, after several hours of pacing in her bedroom, Aurora finally arrived at Bridgerton House

Later that afternoon, after several hours of pacing in her bedroom, Aurora finally arrived at Bridgerton House. She had never felt so nervous as she currently did. Seven hours of overanalysing last night's events had unsurprisingly left her fretful.

She entered the Bridgerton's largest reception room to see all but one sat expectantly. Benedict Bridgerton was the only one of the brood to be missing.

"He's attending a showing at Somerset House. They're doing an art exhibition and it's got some of Waterstone's work. I believe he wanted to have a look." Was Daphne's explanation for the boy's absence.

Aurora felt extremely glad that Daphne had broken the silence - especially considering she had answered her unspoken question. It comforted her greatly to know that Daphne was there to support her.

Of course, William Grey had come along with her but considering how strained their relationship had been ever since he announced the engagement to her, she was unsure as to what level of comfort he would being providing her with.

Lady Violet was the next to speak, she too sense the girl's unease.

"Come here my dear. Anthony make Lord Grey welcome." Violet was trying her hardest to make everyone feel more comfortable (not that it was doing much good).

As Aurora walked across the room to where the Viscountess Bridgerton was seated she felt Anthony's gaze following her.

She was nearly half way to the chaise longe when she halted in her steps and turned her head to look at him. Aurora opened her mouth to say something but in catching his gaze the words died on her lips.

Anthony looked at her - really looked at her - and felt regret grow in the pits of his stomach. Regret at his behaviour from last night. The events had become clearer over the course of the day and not only was he now able to recall his ludicrous speech, but he also now had a complete recollection of the conversation they had had whilst dancing. He was embarrassed at his behaviour, most particularly for the fact that he had forced her hand in such a public way. She probably hated him for it.

"I'm so very sorry about last night" his voice was ragged and his eyes held such an ocean of emotions that Aurora felt saddened just looking at him.

She braved a smile. "It is quite alright, Sir. I apologise for the role I played in it."

She sat beside Lady Bridgerton and swiftly moved the conversation on. Much to everyone's relief.

"I was thinking we might take a trip to the Modiste soon to begin work on your wedding dress?"

Aurora had anticipated that she would feel overwhelmed by such a suggestion, but Violet made the whole affair seem as simple as hosting afternoon tea. She felt so very relieved to know that Violet and Daphne would be there at every stage to help her.

A true smile crossed her features.

"I would like that very much."

They continued to discuss similar such matters for at least an hour, laying down the basic information such as colour scheme and guests.

Some time later Anthony came up to the quartet (they had since been joined by Eloise who was rather intrigued by the whole ordeal). He had a nervous look on his face that most of the Bridgerton's had not seen in many many years.

William approached behind him and spoke to the group.

"As the arrangement has been classed a love match by London society I am going to have to ask the two of you to play pretend - for now at least - and present yourselves as a loving and happy couple."

Aurora took in a deep breath. Something about her discussions with Daphne and Violet had made her feel more comfortable about the marriage.

"Very well. Viscount Bridgerton, would you sit with me and -"

"Anthony" he interrupted her.

Aurora looked at him as if something were wrong with him.

He chuckled and glanced down at the ground before catching her gaze. "Call me Anthony. May I call you Aurora?"

He looked like something of a lost puppy in search of a new home and Aurora felt genuinely attracted to him for a moment.

"Yes, Anthony. You are quite right."

The corners of his mouth curved upwards at hearing how softly she said his name.

"May I?" he gestured to the space beside her.

"Of course." She paused for a moment. "It must be hard having to look after so many people."

Anthony seemed a little surprised by her comment.

"Yes. Yes, I suppose it is. It's very hectic but I wouldn't have it any other way." He smiled, reminiscing over fond memories with his many siblings.

"Would you want to have many -" she struggled to complete her sentence.

"Children?" Anthony asked as gently as he could.

"Yes."

"I think - I think it rather depends on how my wife feels." The two held eye contact and Aurora blushed slightly.

"I see - well - I - we" she stumbled over her words but the Viscount was quick to save her.

"Perhaps this is a conversation for another time. Do not worry about it for now."

*****

So we're back in another lockdown which probably means I'll update this more regularly than if I had been at school.

Thankfully something is going to be happening with exams - lord knows what.

Honestly I just wanted a normal last few years as a teenager but, alas, that seems to be too much to ask!

Stay safe,

Valentia x