chapter sixty two - with child

"Well, my lady," began Doctor Lumet, "I believe I have come to a conclusion regarding your condition

"Well, my lady," began Doctor Lumet, "I believe I have come to a conclusion regarding your condition."

The Doctor had been present for just over an hour and in that time had questioned, prodded, and observed her as much as one could possibly manage.

Throughout the entire ordeal Aurora and Eleanor had maintained silence, only speaking when questioned.

Thankfully Anthony was still away visiting Simon and was not due back for another hour. No matter what the result was, Aurora wanted some time alone to think it through before her husband's arrival.

"Lady Bridgerton, I can say with some certainty that you are, indeed, with child."

Eleanor let out a gasp of delight and barraged into her, nearly knocking the viscountess off her feet.

"Aurora that's great!"

"Now, now my child," commanded the Doctor, "please release your friend and let her take a seat. Are you alright my dear? It must be something of a surprize?"

Aurora nodded, her face becoming paler by the moment.

What would Anthony say?

He had shown an interest - a great deal in fact - at the idea, however she feared that he may not respond so positively to his dream becoming a reality.

"I shall leave you for the moment, my lady. Although I should like to keep a close watch on you over the coming months, especially as this is your first child." He placed a gentle hand on her arm, offering comfort.

"And do not fear, things usually have a way of working themselves out."

Leaving them with that cryptic message, the doctor promptly vanished as if into thin air.

"Well, this has been an eventful day," declared Eleanor and the two burst into laughter.

"Indeed, it most certainly has. But tell me - what news of Benedict? You have been awfully quiet in the subject as of late?"

The pair were interrupted mid conversation by loud footsteps rushing along the hall. They gradually became louder and louder until the oak door opened to reveal Anthony.

Aurora nearly cried inside.

She had not expected him back for some time - time which she desperately needed to prepare herself.

"Aurora why on earth was the doctor's carriage here? Are you unwell?" Concern laced his voice as she attempted to muster up the courage to explain her condition to him.

Eleanor, understanding that this was a conversation best left to the couple, silently slipped from the room, eager to complete her painting.

"Anthony?"

"Yes?" He asked worriedly.

A pause ensued before she finally spoke.

"I am with child."

It came out as little more than a whisper, but it was more than loud enough for the viscount to hear.

"You are?" Are - are you - you mean that? Truly?" He stuttered, struggling to get any words out.

The viscountess shrunk back, fearing that this response was leading to him becoming frustrated or angry. She chose her next words carefully, praying that he would forgive her.

"I understand it must be a shock and I'm sure you didn't want anything to occur when we are so young but I-"

She was cut off her the viscount stormed across the room to kneel in front of her. Aurora was not sure what she expected of him, but this certainly wasn't it.

"Hello, little one," he spoke softly as he placed his hands around her stomach, cradling it gently.

"Anthony what on earth are you doing?"

He glanced up at her from where he was crouched, his arms still clutching her stomach.

"Shush, I'm introducing myself to our child," he chastised her, although his tone was far from harsh.

He turned back to her stomach and leant his forehead against it.

"I'm your father, Anthony Bridgerton. And I'm the firstborn, like you - which is why my name begins with A..."

Aurora sighed in content as she watched her husband kneeling before her, busy talking away to the tiny baby inside her.

It was going to be a long few months.