chapter forty four - spilling secrets

Aurora had positively sprinted through her washing in order to make sure she was not one second late to her ‘appointment’ - for fear that Anthony would refuse to impart any information should she get on his bad side.

In fact, she was so determined to be on time that she called upon three maids to dress her as quickly as possible.

The operation was an almost military one and it took the Viscountess a mere fifty six minutes to complete. This was certainly a new personal best.

With three minutes to spare, Aurora rushed from her room, along the hall of the east wing, down a flight of stairs (missing a step halfway down and nearly tumbling to her death), through the main entrance, the main hallway, along an unnamed corridor, and into the study.

Inside, Anthony sat comfortably at his desk, peering over the papers. Hearing her rather noisy arrival into the room, he looked up to greet her.

“I made it!” She managed through heavy breaths, “I’m on time, you have to tell me now. No excuses!”

The Viscount chuckled darkly and shook his head from side to side at her antics.

He had since decided to explain the entirety of his plans to her. After all, Aurora was certainly intelligent and may perhaps be of some assistance. Furthermore - although he would never admit it - Anthony was hopeful that she may find a way to persuade him from accepting the deal. There was something about the venture that did not sit right with him and, were it not for the extensive wealth that came with it, he would gladly have turned down the opportunity.

“Please, take a seat Aurora.”

She so desperately wanted to comment on his use of her first name, but she knew that it would most likely just annoy him and she was determined not to do that.

Anthony caught sight of the ticking in her jaw. It was clear to him that she wished to speak, and her refusal to do so was much to her credit, he thought. It showed her dedication to uncovering his secret.

Taking a seat in the chair that Anthony had placed on the other side of his desk, Aurora stared at him expectantly.

“I would like you to read to my the first paragraph of this document and then tell me what you perceive it to mean,” he spoke as he handed her the document that had previously been sat in the very centre of his desk.

Cautiously, Aurora opened the paper and scanned her eyes over its contents.

“Go on,” Anthony urged.

“Operation Black Swan: proposal. Black swan is a secret venture by the East India Company who’s aim is to profitably transport indigo dye from the Indian sun-continent to England.” Aurora paused and looked up at him, uncertain whether she should continue. Indeed, she was uncertain where she even wanted to continue. The presence of the East India Company within Anthony’s plans did not sit well with her.

“Continue.”

She cleared her throat and returned her focus to the page, “recent increases in consumption of indigo across Europe has created a higher demand which needs to be fulfilled. Private merchants and small companies are turning to the trade as a source of income, therefore. The EIC proposes that we form a more secure standing within the trade so as to eliminate competition.”

There was a deathly silence as both parties analysed the words spoken. Aurora was horrified at this news, she could think of little worse and could not - would not - let her husband go anywhere near the East India Company.

“What do you think?” Came his coarse voice at last.

“Anthony, you cannot pursue this,” she exclaimed, handing him the papers.