chapter three

After the younger Bridgertons had gone to bed and Eloise, Daphne and Mrs

After the younger Bridgertons had gone to bed and Eloise, Daphne and Mrs. Bridgerton had retired to the drawing room, the brothers chose to gather in Anthony's study along with Simon Basset. The study had a warm glow despite the chill of the evening and it always made Anthony feel more comfortable about the prospect of an evenings work.

But this evening he found himself struggling with even the most mundane of tasks, and not merely because of Colin's antics - he had picked up a handful of obnoxious foreign traditions during his travels and seemed determined to integrate them into the Bridgerton family's daily life.

No, indeed, Anthony Bridgerton's mind was restless as he thought about the young debutante who had so impressed his family. It seemed every conversation they had had that evening somehow circled back to the woman.

Anthony was no fool and had quickly caught on to Daphne and Simon's - and most likely his mother's too - attempt to form an attachment between the two of them.

And they were not the only ones. Anthony would be lying if he tried to suggest that he had not considered matrimony when Daph first mentioned Aurora Grey. She was of excellent positioning in society - the first daughter of an Earl - and she was said to be most accomplished and intellectual.

It was with this weighing heavy on his mind that Anthony finally gave up on his work and turned to the others with a heavy sigh.

Simon, who was sat on a chair far too small for his large frame, turned to him, a look of concern upon his face.

"Are you quite alright Anthony? You do not look well."

At Simon's talking the two Bridgerton boys fell silent, they too had noticed their brother's tiredness, and turned to look at him.

"Yes, Hastings, I am - " At this Anthony paused and downed the glass of whiskey that had been sitting next to him for the better part of a half hour. "No. No, I am not alright. In fact, I have a question to ask you."

At this Colin and Benedict glanced at each other with a small smirk on their faces, both somewhat humoured by their brother's desire for help - something most uncommon from Anthony.

"Go on then, Bridgerton. Though what help we can give you I'm unsure." Replied Simon calmly.

Anthony took a deep breath and rose from his chair before making his way over to the sofa upon which his brothers were sprawled. He dropped between them, basking in the heat of the fire a moment before speaking.

"You all met the Grey girl today, and you Simon have known her for some time now. Tell me" he moved his gaze from the slowly burning fire to Benedict "what is she like? Is she everything they say she is?"

There was a moment's pause before Simon cleared his throat and responded.

"I'm afraid I can't give you a true response, Bridgerton. I'm a married man now you see."

The two chuckled at the memories of last year's Season and Simon's unlikely marriage to Daphne.

"Well I for one thought she exceeded all that Lady Whistledown said her to be." Benedict replied evenly.

"Yes, she makes very interesting conversation. I think we must have spent at least an hour debating Shakespeare." Colin finally spake.

From the opposite side of the fire Simon laughed loudly, a smile on his lips, "indeed, she is most knowledgeable on the subject."

"Oh she seems most knowledgeable on all subjects. I have never met another woman so smart, and witty." Agreed Colin, slowly shaking his head.

"She'd give you a run for your money Anthony."

Suddenly Anthony snapped his gaze to Simon and spoke in a crisp, controlled tone, "do you think she'd make a good wife?"

Benedict, who had been drinking from his glass of water, suddenly choked and had to be rescued by Colin as Simon stared at Anthony's unwavering gaze, slowly raising an eyebrow.

"A wife?" Simon paused, "so you're serious then, about getting married?"

"Yes. Would she be suitable?" Anthony's tone bordered on cold.

Simon looked into the fire with a thoughtful expression for several moments before his lips twitched ever so slightly. It was clear to all the Bridgertons that he was recalling a memory of some comedy.

After nearly a full minute Simon lifted his gaze and focused his attention back upon the eldest Bridgerton. "I think she'd make an excellent viscountess Bridgerton, if that's what you're asking?"