chapter twenty seven - the Lucas' ball

The Lucas' ball was indeed a grand event

The Lucas' ball was indeed a grand event. Their penchant for finery made the whole ordeal absolutely exquisite. And it was even more grand this year due to their recent buying up of several Waterstone paintings. The artist was becoming steadily more and more infamous. Everyone wished to know who the mysterious man was that produced such powerful and extraordinary pieces.

The first hour of the ball had gone impeccably smoothly. Much to everyone's delight. In fact, London society appeared to have accepted the romantic love affair between the Viscount and his soon to be Viscountess.

But, alas, this did not last for long.

Aurora felt ill. She assumed to to be from the fish she had eaten at lunch - she feared food poisoning. This would not have been such a very great issue (her constitution was fussy and this was not the first time she had become ill at a public function) however, Anthony seemed determined to have her dance. He insisted that it was part of Daphne's request.

Aurora knew she should have just told him of her sickness but then she would have had to return home. And in truth, she did not wish to stir up a fuss.

And yet she did.

"No Bridgerton leave me alone!" Aurora was trying her absolute hardest to act like she loved the Viscount but she knew it was too much for her. Why could he not leave her alone. She did not wish to dance.

But Anthony Bridgerton refused to give up. He knew the pressure that was now put upon them and he knew exactly how diabolical the consequences would be if they were not believed to be in love. The rumours that could ripple through London society would ruin the girl within a day. They were yet to dance together and if they had not by the end of the evening he feared some may start to talk.

"Aurora it is one dance!" He was pleading but his voice came out strained and harsh.

"Do not call me that. You do not get to call me that." She turned to him suddenly and a loathsome scowl was plastered onto her face.

By now the Viscount was becoming agitated. He only wanted what was best for her and she was being - ridiculous!

"That is your name, is it not? Aurora?" He taunted her.

"My friends call me Aurora but you are not my friend Bridgerton, so you can call me Lady Grey."

"Anthony!" Benedict's chirpy tone interrupted them at the perfect time. Had they been allowed to continue he feared for what would have been left of their façade.

"This is not over" he directed at his intended, shifting his gaze to Benedict and softening his tone. "Yes brother?"

The other Bridgerton boy had a grin spread across his features and Anthony immediately saw the reason why. Behind him was stood a genteel looking girl with extraordinarily dark skin and a bustle of beautifully tamed black hair. He knew straight away that his brother had developed some sort of romantic attachment to the girl (albeit neither of them were probably aware of the fact).

"This is Lady Eleanor Hayward. She wanted to meet your fiancée."

Aurora's eyes snapped from the eldest Bridgerton to the Hayward girl, and as it did, so too did her countenance.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Lady Hayward."

Anthony marvelled at her genuine kindness. 'Is this how she is when I am not around?' he thought.

The two girls wandered off into the crowd, the Viscount's gaze still latched upon Aurora. And, although he had not realised, his face held the most loving and adoring of looks. For something had changed within his opinion of the girl. Something he could not put his finger on.

Colin was the first to see his brother's trance and could not help but point it out to Penelope Fetherington who was, at present, his dance partner. She smiled at the look in the Viscount's eyes and chuckled to herself.

Not five feet away from the eldest Bridgerton stood Benedict. Oh how desperately he wanted to make some remark about how Anthony was so lovestruck. But for once he refrained from doing so. For he was truly happy that at last some peace may return to Bridgerton House.

The Viscount's awe had also been picked up on by the Duke and Duchess of Hastings - both of whom were surprised at how quickly his impression of the girl had changed.

And of course, Aurora was oblivious.

*****

You may not have noticed, but I have now published the first two chapters of my Benedict Bridgerton work titled 'Secret Truths'. Go check it out because it's very different to this one but you will see cross overs (the story focuses on Eleanor Hayward - the girl you've just met).

Hope you're all keeping well

V x