Chapter Six: Are You Sure She's Human?

Once everyone else got up, we headed for the school and arrived just as the students were getting there.

"Rose and Sarah, you got to the Maths room. Crack open those computers.  I need to see the hardware inside. Here, you might need this." He pulled his sonic screwdriver out of his pocket. Rose reached for it, but he handed it off to Sarah Jane instead. "Mickey, Surveillance. I want you outside."

"Just stand outside?!" Mickey asked.

"Here, take these. You can keep K-9 company." Sarah Jane told him, tossing him her car keys.

"Don't forget to leave the window open a crack."

"He's metal!"

"I didn't mean for him!' The Doctor called.

"What about me?" I asked, falling into step beside him as we began walking towards the school.

"You're with me."

"What are you gonna do?" Rose asked.

"Its time I had a word with Mr. Finch."

"Sorry, why do you need me for that?" I questioned.

"Because Mary, I still don't know who or what you are," He said, glancing over at me, "and until I do, I'm not letting you out of my sight."

"Was that supposed to be an encouragement or a threat?"

"Well, that all depends." I raised my eyebrows.

"On?' He turned, looking forward again.

"What you are."

We headed into the building and all split up, the Doctor and I walking up the stairs so that we could get a good vantage point and hopefully catch Mr. Finch. It wasn't long after the first bell rang that we did, watching him as he walked by.

He paused where he was, seemingly sensing our eyes as he looked up, making eye contact with us before continuing to walk. We followed after him, ending up in the school pool, where he stood against the wall with his arms clasped behind his back, waiting for us.

"Who are you?" The Doctor asked.

"My name is Brother Lassar. And you?"

"The Doctor. You've met Mary Perdita."

"You're not really a photographer, are you?" He questioned.

"Darn. You've figured me out." I said sarcastically.

"Since when did Krillitanes have wings?"

"Its been our form for nearly ten generations now." Lassar informed us, slowly pushing himself off of the all and walking along the edge of the pool. "Our ancestors invaded Bessan. The people there had some rather lovely wings. They mate a million widows in one day, just imagine."

"And now you're shaped like a human, are you?" I asked.

"A personal favorite, that's all."

"And the others?" The Doctor questioned.

"My brothers remain bat form. What you see is a simple morphic illusion." The Doctor nodded. "Scratch the surface and the true Krillitane lies beneath. And what of the Time Lords?"

Time Lords. My brain whispered. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"I always thought of you as such a pompous race. Ancient, dusty senators. So frightened of change, and chaos. And of course, they're all but extinct. And you, the last." I looked up at the Doctor, who had begun walking along side Lassar on the other side of the pool, his words echoing in my head.

"I lived. Everyone else died."

"This plan of yours, what is it?" The Doctor continued, stopping on the end of the pool. I slowly began walking over to join him.

"You don't know?"

"That's why I'm asking." The Doctor said obviously, pushing his coat aside and slipping his hands into his pants pockets.

"Well, show me how clever you are," Lassar shot back, "Work it out."

He finally came around to the end of the pool, stepping right in front of the Doctor with only inches between them. I don't know what led me to do it, but before I could stop myself I stepped forward, slipping in between them and glaring up at Lassar with a hard look.

"This one's tough, for a human."

"If I don't like it, then it will stop." The Doctor said from behind me.

"Fascinating," He said, his eyes lingering on mine before looking up at the Doctor, "Your people were peaceful to the point of indolence. You seem to be something new."

The Doctor's hands found my waist, gently pushing me towards the wall.

"I'm so old now," He said, never taking his eyes off of Lassar, "I used to have so much mercy. You get one warning. That was it." He reached over, grabbing my hand and pulling me along with him as he turned to leave the room.

"But we're not even enemies," Lassar called after us, "Soon, you will embrace us." He paused, turning to look at him, but never letting go of my hand. "The next time we meet, you will join with me. I promise you." 

"Best not make promises you can't keep." I shot back. He simply smirked at me before looking up at the Doctor.

"Are you sure she's human?" When the Doctor didn't respond, he walked out of the pool room, leaving the two of us alone. I turned to look at the Doctor with wide eyes.

"What did he mean, 'Are you sure I'm human'?" I asked. He continued to stare after Lassar, not looking at me. "Doctor, I'm human, right?"

"I don't know." He said, his eyes meeting mine. "I told you, I don't know what you are." 

"No...no, no, no, I might not know where I came from, but I'm not a bloody alien, Doctor! I'm not, I mean, how could I be? I look human, I am human, I-"

"Mary, I need you to hold it together." He came over, putting his hands on my face. My eyes widened at the contact, but I found that every time he touched me I was getting more and more used to the strange feeling I got. It wasn't so scary anymore. "I promised you that when this was all over, I'd find out what you are, didn't I promise that?" I nodded. "And you said you trust me, right?"

"Yes...I don't know why, but yes, I trust you."

"Then hold it together until we get to the bottom of this. I need you." I nodded and he took his hands off of my face, grabbing my hand once more and leading me out of the room.

We left the pool and headed to the Maths room to check up on Sarah Jane and Rose, only when we got there, we found them standing there, Rose holding the Sonic Screwdriver as the two of them laughed hysterically.

"How's it going?" The Doctor asked. They simply looked at him and continued laughing. 

"Looks like those two have found some common ground then." I said, smirking at the doctor.

"What?" He asked them. "Listen, I need to find out what's programmed inside these." They just continued laughing, Rose pointing the screwdriver at him. "What? Stop it!" 

Their laughter was interrupted by the sound of the intercom.

"All pupils to class immediately. And would all members of staff please congregate in the staff room?"

"Right then...that can't be good." I said, looking up at the Doctor.

"Rose, stop the kids from coming in here, send them to the South Hall." The Doctor instructed. She immediately stopped laughing, heading for the door.

"Let's get these computers open, shall we?" I held a hand out to Rose and she tossed me the Sonic Screwdriver. "Back to Business."