Chapter Twenty-Four: The Doctor's Mickey Smith

The Doctor, DI Biship, and I hurried back to the Connelly's house on the morning of the coronation, specifically to search for Tommy. If anyone knew what happened to his grandmother, it would be him.

Luckily, he was the one who opened the door.

"Tommy, talk to me. I need to know exactly what happened inside your house." The Doctor said, wasting no time.

Tommy stepped out, attempting to pull the door closed behind him when it was yanked out of his hand, and a very angry looking Mr. Connolly came bursting outside. 

"What the blazes do you think you're doing?!" He asked, getting in his son's face.

"I wanna help, Dad!" 

"Mr. Connolly-" The Doctor started.

"Shut your face, you," He spat, moving towards the Doctor, "Whoever you are, we can handle this ourselves!"

I shook my head, stepping forward to confront him, when the Doctor stopped me, putting his arm out in front of me as Mr. Connolly moved back to Tommy.

"Listen, you little twerp-"

"Doctor..." I said, urging him to let me go.

"Wait." He said.

"You're hardly out of the blooming cradle, so I don't expect you to understand, but I've got a position to maintain! People round here respect me! It matters what people think!" 

"Is that why you did it, Dad?" Tommy asked. 

"What you mean? Did what?"

I settled back into my place beside the Doctor, and he took his arm away.

"You ratted on Gran," He continued, "How else would the police know where to look? Unless some coward told them."

"How dare you?!" He stepped up to Tommy again, and the boy looked between us and his dad with fear in his eyes. I desperately wanted to get this man as far away from Tommy as possible, but I knew why the Doctor had stopped me from doing so.

For everyone, no matter the age, sex, or position of power, there comes a point in our lives where we must decide to stand up to the bullies and be our own person. This was Tommy's moment, and if I were to step in and intervene now, I would be robbing him of the opportunity to step into his own, and become the young man that he was destined to be. 

So, I stayed where I was and bit the inside of my cheek, and when the Doctor offered me his hand I took it, if for no other reason than to assure I would stay where I was. 

"You think I fought a war just so a mouthy little scum like you could call me a coward!" Mr. Connolly continued.

 "You don't get it, do you?" Tommy asked. "You fought against fascism, remember? People telling you how to live. Who you could be friends with, who you could fall in love with. Who could live, and who had to die. Don't you get it?! You were fighting so that little twerps like me could do what we want, say what we want. Now, you've become just like them, haven't you? You've been informing on everyone, haven't you!? Even Gran! All to protect your precious reputation!" 

"Eddie..." Rita appeared at the door, a heartbroken look on her face, "Is that true?"

"I did it for us, RIta." He answered. "SHE WAS FILTHY! A FILTHY, DISGUSTING THING!" 

"She's my mother," She reasoned, "All the others your informed on, all the people on our street, our friends..."

"I had to," He said, looking around at all of us, "I-I did the right thing."