Chapter Thirty-Five: The Doctor, Lewis, and Clark

Rose and I walked arm-in-arm in the same direction the Doctor had headed. Just as we neared the section of street the workers were on, a red mini-cooper stalled to a stop right beside us, the engine faltering and making strange sputtering noises. 

One of the street workers shook his head, making his way over to the car. 

"There you go," He called, bending down to talk to the driver, "Fifth today. That's not natural, is it?"

"Don't know what happened. I had it serviced less than a month ago."

"Nah, don't even try to explain it mate," He said, "All the cars are doing it, and you know what? Its bonkers. Bonkers."

"There's some kind of energy on this street," I muttered to Rose, so only she could hear, "Something's messing with the temperature, stalling the cars. You can feel it." 

"Come on then, pal. I'll help you shift it. Quicker you're on your way, happier you'll be."

The driver stood int he doorway of the car, and the road worker moved behind it, beginning to help him push it down the street. 

"Do you want a hand?" Rose asked as I held up my own, waving it through the air as I felt the energy that was positively saturating the atmosphere in this particular section of street.

"No, we're alright, love." The worker told her. 

"Well you're not," Rose said, walking over and lightly bumping him to make room for her, "I'm tougher than I look, honest." 

They began pushing together as I noted how the hair on the back of my neck seemed to stand on end depending on where I was standing. 

"What is that?" I asked myself. The car they were pushing roared to life, causing the worker to just about faceplant into the street.

"Cheers, mate!' The driver called. I rushed over to exactly the point where the car started. The energy was weaker there than in the area where the car had stalled. 

"Does this happen a lot?" Rose questioned.

"Been doing it all week." He said. I raised my eyebrows, stepping up beside Rose.

"Since those children started going missing?" She asked. 

"Yeah. Suppose so."

"Just here though, yeah?" I asked, gesturing beside me. "This stretch of street?"

"Now that I think about it...yeah," He agreed, "Same spot, every time."

I shook my head.

"I don't like this." I whispered to Rose. 

"Every car cuts out," The worker began, walking back towards his van. Rose and I both fell into step beside him. "The council is going nuts. I mean, they've given this street the works. Renamed it. I've been tarmacking every pothole. Look at that. Beauty, innit? Yep, and all this is because that Olympic torch comes right by the end of this close. Just down there. Everything's gotta be perfect, ain't it? Only it ain't."

"It takes 'em when they're playing." I raised my eyebrows, stepping slightly in front of Rose as an old woman appeared in front of us. 

"Sorry, what?" I asked, putting a hand on the woman's arm, "What takes them?"

"Danny, Jane, Dale, snatched in the blink of an eye!" 

"Liar! You're a liar!" 

"I am a...I'm a...Police officer!" I looked up just past the woman to see the Doctor walking backwards away from a very angry-looking father, "That's what I am I've got a badge and a police car. You don't have to get-I can prove it. Just hold on..."