Chapter Fifteen: Cybus Industries

"Its alive!" The Doctor shouted, as I followed Mickey into the console room. The Doctor had removed one of the grate's from the floor, and was currently inside of it, pulling out wires and panels by the handful.

"What is it?" Mickey asked. 

"Doctor, is this it? Have you fully lost it now?" I asked, putting my hands on my knees and bending down to address him.

"Nothing," He answered, ignoring me, "Its tiny. Its one of those insignificant little power cells that no one ever bothers about and its clinging on to life! Its got one little ounce of reality tucked away inside!" 

I sat down on the edge of the grate, hanging my legs inside of it and putting my feet on the steps. I leaned y arms on my legs. 

"So, you can charge it up? Reroute it through the console and use it to restore power to the TARDIS?" I asked.

"Precisely, Mary!" He said, popping up and leaning his arm across my lap as he cradled the small green light in his hands. 

"We could go outside and lash it up to the national grid." Mickey suggested as I reached out a hand, lightly running my finger over it. 

"Wrong sort of energy," The Doctor told him, "Its got to come from our universe."

"But we don't have anything." Mickey pointed out.

"There's me." The Doctor looked at the little light, pursing his lips and blowing on it. His breath shifted my hair, triggering an image to slide painfully into my head. I saw a flash of bright golden light, followed by my locket slamming shut. Soon, my mind whispered. I winced, my hand flying subconciously to the locket hidden beneath my shirt. 

"I just gave away ten years of my life," I opened my eyes at this to see the Doctor and I were now both bathed in the green light, "Worth every second." 

He giggled and I smiled, combing a hand through my hair.

"Mary, are you alright?" Mickey asked, causing the Doctor to look at me. I nodded. 

"Fine. Just fine. Headache is all." I answered, looking back at the light just as it began to dim.

"Its going out, is that ok?" Mickey questioned. 

"It'll be on a...a recharging cycle," I said, attempting to collect my thoughts, "It'll come back around, power up again. Right Doctor?"

"Right, and when it does, which should be in about 24 hours, it'll be ready to take us home."  He continued, pressing the bulb to his lips.

"So that gives us 24 hours in a parallel world?" Mickey asked. 

"Shore leave,' The Doctor said, throwing the light up and catching it, "So long as we keep our heads down, easy, no problem. Let's go and tell her." 

I stood up, offering the Doctor my hand. He took it, allowing me to pull him up the steps and out of the hole. As he appeared in front of me, I was met with a wave of lightheadedness, causing my knees to buckle slightly.

You must open it soon. The time is approaching.

I shook my head, attempting to get rid of the voice. 

"Whoa Nellie! Are you sure you're alright?" The Doctor asked, wrapping his arms around my waist in order to keep my from falling. I braced myself with my hands on his shoulders, attempting to blink the colored dots out of my eyes.

"Soon...something's happening..." I whispered. 

"Mary?" The Doctor repeated, drawing my eyes to his. "What's wrong? What's soon?"