Chapter Forty-One: Torchwood

The Doctor disappeared into the floor grate of the TARDIS, and I crouched down beside the opening, glancing down at him. 

"I have a bad feeling about this." I said, looking around the TARDIS. He stood up, poking his head out of the grate. 

"I know," He agreed, "So do I. Its like..."

"That storm you mentioned?" I asked, sitting on the floor and dangling my feet into the hatch, "I feel it too...Do you think this is it? That something has gone wrong, universally and we're only just now catching on?" 

"Its hard to say," He said, folding his arm over my legs, "It could be a typical, alien disturbance or...it could be something greater. Either way, we have to look into it." 

I nodded, averting my eyes to my lap. 

"Its going to be alright, you know," He said, "With both of us here, looking into this I have to say I like our odds." 

"I know, its just..." I sighed. "I trust my gut, Doctor. Its gotten me this far, and right now its telling me that this is going to be really bad-"

"According to the paper, they've elected a ghost as MP for Leeds," Rose said, strolling into the TARDIS. The Doctor immediately disappeared into the hatch again, and I stood up, trying to appear as unphased as possible, "Now don't tell me you two are gonna sit back and do nothing." 

The Doctor popped out of the hatch again, now wearing a backpack device and holding a scanner. 

"Who you gonna call!?" He exclaimed, jumping out of the hole.

"Ghostbusters!" Rose laughed, leaning a hand against the console. 

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" He did a little dance, leaving the TARDIS and prompting Rose to follow him, laughing hysterically the whole way. 

I sighed, trying to push down my overwhelming concern before following them out of the TARDIS. 

~~~

I crouched down, positioning one of the positional temporalstasis cones on the ground of the public park while the Doctor rushed outside armed with the other one. 

"When's the next shift?" He asked Jackie. 

"Quarter to," She answered, "But don't go causing trouble. What does this lot do?"

"Triangulates their point of origin." The Doctor replied. 

"I don't suppose its the Gelth?" Rose asked as the Doctor picked up one of the cones, flipping it over to look at the bottom. 

"Nah," He said, "They were just coming through one little rift. This lot are transposing themselves over the whole planet. Like tracing paper." 

I reached into my bag, grabbing my brand new sonic and scanning one of the wire inputs. I glanced up at the Doctor, who was watching me do this, smiling proudly at the sight. I smiled back.

"You're always doing this," Jackie said, "Reducing it to science. Why can't it be real? Just think of it though. All the people we've lost, our families coming back home. Don't you think its beautiful?" 

"I think its horrific," The Doctor told her, "Rose, give us a hand!" 

The Doctor began unspooling the coil of wire back into the TARDIS, and Rose chased after him. I stepped up beside Jackie. 

"Its a beautiful thought, Jackie," I told her, "And I wish that could be the case, I really do but...its not. I promise, its not, and if its not, then that means something dangerous is going on, and we have to look into it."