Chapter Thirty-Eight: Thought It Was Over

"Chloe usually got the brunt of his temper, when he'd had a drink." Trish explained, a handful of pencils in her hands. "The day he crashed the car, I thought we were free." 

Rose bent down, picking up a pile of pencils and markers from the coffee table as we listened. 

"I thought it was over."

"Did you talk to her about it?" Rose asked, handing them to Trish. 

"I didn't want to." 

Rose sat down on the couch, and the Doctor and I came in to stand in the living room doorway. 

"But maybe that's why Chloe feels so alone," She told her, " 'Cause she has all these terrible dreams about her dad, but she can't talk to you about them." 

"Its her and the Isolus," The Doctor commented, "Two lonely kids who needed each other." 

"And it won't stop, will it Doctor?" Rose questioned. "Just keep pulling kids in." 

"Its desperate to be loved," I replied, "Its used to a pretty big family."

"How big?"

"Say around...four billion?" I asked, glancing at the Doctor. He nodded in agreement. 

The TV was on in the background, and the Olympics announcer was talking about how long the crowd had waited to get to their seats for the opening ceremony.

~~~

"We need that pod." The Doctor said, pulling his coat on as we walked out of the Webber's house. 

"It crashed," Rose pointed out, "Won't it be destroyed?"

"Well, its been sucking up all the heat it can, hopefully that should keep in a fit state to launch. It must be close, it should have a weak energy signature that the TARDIS can trace. Once we find it, then we can stop the Isolus." 

"Weak?" I asked. "I don't know about that. I mean, I can feel it, its all over the street."

"What?" The Doctor asked, furrowing his eyebrows and holding up a hand. "I don't feel anything." 

"Yes, but you're full-on alien," I pointed out, "Everything feels foreign to you. I've been living on this planet for thirteen years, so I can tell when something isn't normal. Even so, we can scan for the same trace that you picked up from the scribble creature." 

"We just need to widen the field a bit." The Doctor agreed. 

We walked down the street until we reached the TARDIS, still nudged snugly between a pair of shipping containers. The Doctor paused only to unlock the door before pushing is way through the doors. 

~~~

"You knew the Isolus was lonely before it told you," Rose pointed out as the Doctor and I ran around the console, "How?" 

I shrugged, plugging a wire into the console and adjusting the dial. 

"Whether I realized it at the time or not," I replied, putting a hand on the Doctor's back as I leaned around him to flip a switch, "I know how it feels to be sperated from your people. To feel like you're alone in the universe." 

The Doctor pushed Rose out of the jump seat, sitting down with our little homemade detection device in his hands. 

"Give me the steino magnetic..." He said, nodding at the devices in Rose's hands while she stared on in confusion. "Thing in your left hand."

"This one." I told her, pointing it out as she moved over to place it in the device. 

"It sounds like you're on its side." Rose pointed out.