Chapter Ten: Rather Unexpected

" 'Cause you see, its not the clock," The Doctor continued, slowly walking towards us, "You can tell by the resonance. Too big."

"Right, um...how big are we talking exactly?" I questioned., putting a hand on Reinette's shoulder. 

"Six feet, I'd say. Size of a man." I nodded.

"Right...sounds promising."

"What is it?" The girl asked, fear edging in her voice. I slowly sat down on the bed beside her, wrapping an arm around her comfortingly. She leaned into my side.

"Now let's think," The Doctor stated, walking to the window to look behind the curtain, "If you were a thing that ticked and you were hiding in someone's bedroom, first thing you do, break the clock. No one notices the sound of one clock ticking, but two...you might start to wonder if you're really alone."

My eyes widened as a realization hit me.

"Doctor...I must say that source of the ticking seems really close by and...I don't see many good hiding spots in this room, do you?" He nodded slowly, catching my drift.

"Mary, Legs up." I lifted my feet up so that I was sitting fully on the bed, wrapping both of my arms around Reinette as the Doctor inched towards us. "Stay on the bed, right in the middle. Don't put your hands or feet over the edge." She watched him with wide, scared eyes, and I reached up, stroking her hair as he got down on the floor to peek under the bed. He reached underneath, scanning with his screwdriver when suddenly he jumped backwards.

I saw movement in the corner of my eye and burst into action, crawling around Reinette until she was situated behind me. My eyes went wide as I saw a man, or at least what looked like one, standing beside the bed, dressed in fancy period garb, a powdered wig, and an ornate mask covering the entirety of his face. 

"Reinette, don't look round." The Doctor whispered, slowly climbing to his feet. "You stay exactly where you are. Hold still, let me look." I glanced out of the corner of my eye, scared to take my eyes off of the man as the Doctor put his hands on either side of the girl's face, staring into her eyes. "You've been scanning her brain! You've crossed two galaxies and thousands of years just to scan a child's brain? What could there be in a little girl's mind worth blowing a hole in the universe?"

"I don't understand," Reinette said fearfully, "It wants me?" She turned around, peering over my shoulder to look at the creature. "You want me?"

The creature tilted its head to the side, its dark and hollow eyes seemingly peering at the small child.

"Not yet. You are incomplete." It replied in a robotic voice. 

"Incomplete? What do you mean she's incomplete? What does complete mean to you?" I asked.  The creature didn't move and remained silent.

"You can answer her or you can answer me, what do you mean incomplete?" The Doctor asked, pointing his screwdriver at the man. He pressed the button and the man began to move, walking around the bed towards him. I stood up, going to stand between them as the thing's arm shot up towards the Doctor. Its hand disappeared and a blade replaced it, slicing across my cheek. I winced slightly, but didn't move, glaring at the creature.

"Monsieur, Madame, be careful!" Reinette cried.

"Just a nightmare Reinette, don't worry about it. Everyone has nightmares." The Doctor said, yanking me behind him. The creature walked forward again and we backed up towards the fireplace, blade and sonic screwdrivers extended towards each other. The man began swinging at us and we moved faster backwards. "Even Monsters from under the bed have nightmares. Don't you, Monster?"

The Lost Time Lord (A Doctor Who/Tenth Doctor Fanfiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें