Chapter Twelve: A Door Once Opened

"Fireplace Man," She said softly, her eyes still close, "You're inside my mind."

He can do that? Could he look inside my mind? Maybe that could help clear some things up.

"Oh, dear, Reinette," He whispered, "You've had some cowboys in here."

"Why's it always bloody cowboys? What kind of saying is that?" I asked myself quietly.

"You are in my memories. You walk among them."

"If there's anything you don't want me to see, just imagine a door and close it. I won't look." The Doctor said. "Oh, actually, there's a door just there you might want to close. Oh, actually several."

She opened her eyes, looking up at him mischievously. I chuckled, shaking my head in disbelief. 

"To walk among the memories of another living soul. Do you ever get used to this?"

"I don't make a habit of it."

"How can you resist?"

"How old are you?" He questioned.

"So impertinent a question so early in the conversation." Her eyes opened again and her flirtatiousness was back. "How promising."

"Not my question. Theirs. You're twenty-three, and for some reason that means you're not old enough." Her eyes fluttered closed, and all the lightness faded from her face and was replaced with a look of discomfort. "Sorry, you might find old memories reawakening. Side effect."

Ok, we're definitely going to have to try this.

"Oh, such a lonely childhood." She said, sadly.

"It'll pass. Stay with me."

"Oh, Doctor. So lonely. So very, very alone." My eyes widened at this.

"What do you mean, alone? You've never been alone in your life." His eyes shot open and he looked at her in confusion. "When did you start calling me Doctor?"

"Such a lonely little boy," She continued, "Lonely then and lonelier now." Her eyes opened. "How can you bear it?"

"How did you do that?" He took his hands off of her, taking a few steps back.

"A door once opened may be stepped through in either direction."

"She's a genius." I said, causing him to look at me. I just shrugged, shooting the woman an impressed look, though she didn't take her eyes off of him.

"Oh Doctor...my lonely Doctor..." She took a step forward, standing directly in front of him, "Dance with me." 

"I can't." He answered.

"Dance with me."

"This is the night you dance with the King."

"Then first I shall make him jealous," She shot back, "And then, while I dance with him, the lovely Mary can take my place. I could sense your fondness for her, though you're not quite sure where it comes from. You've only just met."

"I can't." He repeated, ignoring this. I raised my eyebrows, averting my eyes to the floor.

"Doctor. Doctor who?" She asked. "Its more than just a secret, isn't it?"

"What did you see?" He asked.

"That there comes a time, Time Lord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance." She grabbed his hand, before coming over to grab mine.

"No, I really don't need to be a part of this-" She ignored me, taking my hand and pulling both of us in the direction off the ballroom.

~~~