Chapter Thirteen: The Lonely Angel and The Beautiful Mystery

The plan was simple.  We split up the boys and the girls, so that the Doctor and Mickey could search the ship for the correct Time Window, while Rose and I would find one before hand in order to warn Reinette of what was coming. 

The window we found was Five years before her thirty-seventh birthday, and when we found her, she was standing alone in her bedroom, staring at the clock, which had long since been repaired. 

"Madame de Pompadour," Rose said, causing her to gasp and turn around rather quickly, "Please don't scream or anything, we haven't got a lot of time."

"Mary," She said, rushing over to me, "Who is this girl?"

"Rose Tyler, she's also a friend of the Doctor's." I explained. "Look, we've got to be quick, I can't be sure how much time we've got."

"We've come to warn you that they'll be here in five years." Rose told her, sitting down on the piano bench that was nearby.

"Five years?" 

"Sometime after your Thirty-Seventh Birthday." She clarified. "We can't give you an exact date, its a bit random...but they're coming. Its gonna happen. In a way, for us its already happening. I'm sorry, its hard to explain. The Doctor does this better."

"Then be exact and I will be attentive."

"There isn't time."

"There are five years." Reinette reasoend.

"For you, we ain't got five minutes."

"Its ok, Rose. She's incredibly smart, she'll understand," I told her, "Basically Reinette, there's this ship-this vessel, and in it are all of these windows of time...doorways to different moments of your life, all mixed up and out of order."

"There is a vessel in your world," She repeated, "Where the days of my life are pressed together like the chapters of a book, so that he and you may step from one to the other without increase of age, while I, weary traveller, must always take the slower path."

"You were rright about her." Rose told me. I nodded.

"So in five years, these creatures will return. What can be done?"

"THe best plan we've got now is for you to keep them talking," I explained, "They're programmed to answer you and have been since you were a child. Its not enough to stop them, but it might be enough to buy us some time."

"For?" She asked.

"For the Doctor to get there."

"He's coming then?"

"He promises." Rose told her. 

"But he cannot make his promises in person?" She looked down, and I could hear the disappointment in her voice. 

"He'll be there when you need him," Rose explained, "That's the way its gotta be."

"Its the way its always been. The monsters and the Doctor. It seems you cannot have one without the other."

"Tell me about it." Rose laughed. "The thing is...you weren't supposed to have either. Those creatures are messing with history. None of this was ever supposed to happen to you."

"Supposed to happen?" She asked. "What does that mean? It happened, child. And I would not have it any other way. One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel." She stood up, crossing over to stand in front of the fireplace.

"Rose? Mary!" We heard Mickey shout. The three of us crossed over into the next room just as Mickey pulled back the tapestry, exposing the window to the ship. "The time window, when she's Thirty-Seven. We've found it, right under our noses."