Chapter Twenty-One: London-y New York, 1953

"I can't tell weather or not I hate this. I'm pretty sure I hate it."

"Oh stop pouting! You look great." Rose scolded as she slid a bobby pin into her hair. I shook my head, staring down my reflection in the TARIDS wardrobe's full-length mirror.

"But see, by who's standard do I look great?" I questioned. "Because I usually dress according to my own standard, and that standard says I look like a blueberry in a petticoat."

We were travelling to the late 1950's, and the Doctor had suggested a change of clothes in order for us to look the part. I'd gone through several hideous outfit changes before Rose eventually decided that she was going to choose for me. She chose semi-matching outfits for us both, consisting of poofy pink and blue dresses with white petticoats, paired with Harrington jackets of different shades. Hers was Navy blue, while mine was two-toned with pale blue and black. We paired our outfits off with stockings and 50s style heels that matched the aesthetic of our outfits. 

Rose, for one, looked great, like 1950s Barbie or something, whereas I felt extremely out of character, given my preferences of band t-shirts and black denim.

She had also insisted on doing my hair and makeup as well, so while she was rocking a stylish up-do held together with a pink headband, my hair was in ringlet curls and pinned out of my face. It wasn't that I thought Rose had done a bad job styling me...it was just very out of my comfort zone. 

"Its happening, you're not changing again. I'm putting my foot down this time," She said, grabbing my arm and pulling me toward the exit. "Doctor, please tell Mary she looks great!" 

She dragged me out of the wardrobe and into the console room, where the Doctor was standing in front of a smaller mirror and attempting to gel his hair up into a more 50's look.

"Why's it matter how you look? Who are you trying to impress, Elvis?" He asked, smiling widely as he turned his head to finally look at us. His smile faltered and Rose smiled, glancing at me and folding her hands behind her back. 

"I think he'd be impressed, don't you?" She questioned. His eyes were locked on me, his mouth hanging open with the remnants of his fallen smile. His eyes combed over my ensemble, making me all the more uncomfortable as I felt the blood rush into my cheeks.

"That's it, I'm changing again." I insisted, turning around to leave again. Rose grabbed my arms in her hands, draping an arm across my body to stop me from doing so. She moved to grip my shoulders, turning me around to face the Doctor. "This is humiliating! Rose actually looks good, I just look ridiculous."

"You don't look ridiculous!" Rose groaned in frustration. "Doctor, tell her!" 

"Y...you don't look ridiculous." He said, swallowing hard. "No, y-you look...nice. You look good-both of you look...good." He quickly turned back to the mirror. 

"Look, at him, he doesn't know what to say! He's all flustered." Rose giggled in my ear, moving toward the door of the TARDIS. She stepped outside and I moved to stand beside the Doctor.

"Nice hair." I said, smiling amusedly at him. 

"Yeah, right back at you." He said, flicking a curl over my shoulder. 

"Oh right, one more thing," I said, reaching into my pocket, "Do you think you could fix the clasp on the locket? I kind of broke it when I yanked it off during the Cybermen attack."

Hold the pendant in your hand. I don't want him to look at it.

"You sure our little wearable friend wants that?" He asked, glancing between my face and the chain hanging from my hand.