Chapter Seventeen: I Don't Remember

We waited in an alley with all the lights turned off until the Cybus vans drove past. Once they did, we turned after them, trailing them to a huge, fancy house with lots of cars parked outside. It looked as though some kind of party was going on.

Jake and Rickey headed outside to get a closer look, while Mickey and Mrs. Moore moved up to the front seat. Mickey held the walkie-talkie so that Mrs. Moore could look up the address, and I remained in the back listening in on the conversation. 

"I don't know what they're doing, but this seems to be the target." Rickey reported. "Big house, fair bit of money. Now we've got to find a way to get in there."

"I've identified the address," Mrs. Moore reported, "It belongs to Peter Tyler, the Vitex millionaire." I nodded.

"Of course it does." I muttered to myself

"He's listed as one of Lumic's henchmen, a traitor to the state." I nodded, sliding the back door open and climbing out of it. 

"We've got to get in there." Mickey said.

"Now shut it, duplicate. That's what I just said."

I closed the van door shut behind me, beginning to walk toward the house. 

"Where are you going?!" Mrs. Moore hissed, rolling down the window. 

"Getting in there! What else?!" I called back. I began creeping toward the porch, ducking down slightly to avoid being seen by security. I paused as I heard voices, dropping to my knees beside a bush. 

"...and Pete always says, you know...never mind him."

"I was talking to him earlier. He's a nice man." I furrowed my eyebrows at the familiar voice. "You know...a bit of a Jack the lad, I suppose, even if he has got money but, he's a good bloke."

I closed my eyes, cringing as I realized why I recognized it before slightly peering over the bushes to prove my hunch. Sure enough, there was Rose, dressed as a waitress, sitting beside a a blonde woman with a tray of champagne perched in her lap. One look at the two of them side-by-side was enough to tell me that this was the parallel version of her mother. 

"Better than most," She continued, "He's worth a second chance."

"Are you commenting on my marriage?" The woman asked, turning toward her with a nasty look on her face.

"No, I was just-"

"Who the hell do you think you are? You're staff. You're nothing but staff, you're just a serving girl for goodness sake, and you a certainly not getting paid. Don't you dare talk to me." 

The woman stood up, storming inside and I came up from behind the bushes, directly into Rose's line of sight. 

"Mary!' She exclaimed. I offered her a sympathetic look.

"Fancy seeing you here." I said quietly. I nodded in the woman's directiion. "I take it that was your mum."

She nodded.

"Is...isn't." She clarified. "I just-"

Her words were cut off by a bright light shining behind me, illuminating her face. I furrowed my eyebrows, turning around to see that the vans were shining spotlights at the house, and there were several large figures walking toward the house in a line. I paused, straining to hear what I thought was a familiar, metallic sound.

"Cybus..." I repeated. "Cyber..."

My eyes widened and I turned around to face Rose.

"Where is the Doctor?!" I demanded.