Chapter Thirty: The Pit Is Open

~~~The Doctor~~~

"All non-essential Oods to be confined. "

"Capsule established. All systems functioning!" Ida shouted, now dressed in a bright orange space suit. "The mineshaft is go, bring systems online now!"

I approached Zack, now dressed in a space suit of my own.

"Reporting as a volunteer for the expeditionary force." I stated. 

"Doctor, this is breaking every single protocol," He said, "We don't even know who you are." 

"Yeah, but you trust me don't you?" I asked. He looked away from me; a begrudging look that meant 'I don't know why, but yeah, I do'. "And you can't let Ida go down there on her own. Go on, look me in the eye. Yes, you do. I can see it. Trust." 

"I should be going down." He answered. 

"The captain doesn't lead the mission. He stays here, in charge." 

"Not much good here, am I?" He asked with a sigh. "Positions! We're going down in two! Everyone, positions!" 

I walked over to stand in front of the mineshaft as Zack began shouting orders. Rose met me half-way with a concerned look on her face. 

"Oxygen, nitro balance, gravity," I recited, "Its been ages since I wore one of these." 

"I want that space suit back in one piece, you got that?" She asked.

"Yes, sir." I said, putting the helmet into place.

"While your down there, see if you can find Mary. Bring her back." She said. "For your sake, probably more than hers. I think she can handle anything."

I smiled at this. 

"Yeah...I think so too."

"Its funny, 'cause people back home think that space travel's gonna be all...whizzing about and teleports, anti-gravity. But its not, is it? Its tough."

"I'll see you later." I assured her.

"Not if I see you first." She said with a grin. She laughed, grabbing my head and pressing her lips to the glass just above my forehead. "Bring her home, Doctor. I mean it."

"I'll do my best." 

"Capsule active. Counting down in ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five..."

Mr. Jefferson loaded Ida and I into the capsule that would lower us down the mineshaft, closing us inside as Zack counted down over the PA. He paused in front of us, saluting us through the glass, and Rose stood beside him, trying her best not to look worried with her hands in her pockets. 

"...Four, three, two, one. Release." 

Rose waved, and I waved back with a gloved hand as the capsule began moving down into the shaft, slipping lower and lower until Rose was out of sight; the only thing visible through the small window being the surface of the planet. 

The capsule shook, and I could sense Ida's nervousness, which was almost as palpable as my own.

"We've gone beyond the oxygen field," Zack reported, "You're on your own." 

"Don't forget to breathe. Breathing's good." Rose instructed. 

"Rose, stay off the comm."

"No chance." 

A heavier jolt rocked the capsule, forcing both of us to brace ourselves against the wall of the tube before it continued on towards the heart of the planet...towards Mary. Hopefully.