Chapter Eighteen: You Can Trust Me

"Leave him alone! What's he done wrong?!" Rose exclaimed, rushing to her 'not-father's' defense.

"Oh you know, just laid a trap that's wiped out the government, and left Lumic in charge." Jake accused.

"If I was part of all that, do you think I'd leave my wife inside?" Pete asked. I nodded, finally putting the pieces together.

"Maybe your plan went wrong," Rickey theorized, "Still gives us the right to execute you, though."

"Talk about executions, you'll make me your enemy," The Doctor warned, glancing between me and the boys, "and take some really good advice, you don't want to do that."

"Oh good lord Doctor I don't know! Is that really so impossible for you to understand, I don't know what I did, I don't remember what the locket is, I. Don't. Know." I exclaimed.

"Just because you don't remember now doesn't mean you won't be a threat whenever you do." He argued. I leaned forward to look at him.

"You don't even know what this is or what I am, so do me a favor and keep your accusations to yourself." I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

"All the same," Rickey continued, ignoring our argument "We've got evidence that says Pete Tyler's been working for the Lumic since 20.5."

"Is that true?" Rose asked, glancing at the man beside her.

"Tell 'em, Mrs. M."

"We've got a government mole who feeds us information," Mrs. M explained, "Lumic's private files, his South American operations, the lot. Secret Broadcasts twice a week."

"Broadcasts from Gemini." I stated.

"Broadcasts from Gemini?" Pete asked in unison.

"And how do you know that?" Rickey asked.

"Right, still waiting for you lot to catch up then, are we?" I questioned. "Go on, tell 'em Pete."

"I'm Gemini, that's me," He clarified, "Encrypted wavelength 657, using binary 9. That's the only reason I was working for Lumic, to get information. I thought I was broadcasting to the security services, what do I get? Scooby doo and his gang. They've even got the Van."

"Wait, how did you know that?" Rickey asked me. 

"Oh come on," I exclaimed, "Use your brain, preachers! He's a documented henchman and yet his house is the location of the first target? His very nice, very expensive house that got destroyed in the middle of his wife's birthday party? Rule number one of Rich bad guys, their ill-gotten gains are always first priority."

"The Preachers know what they're doing," Mickey defended, "Rickey said he's London's most wanted."

"Yeah, that's not exactly..." Rickey trailed off.

"Not exactly what?"

"I'm London's most wanted for parking tickets." The Doctor smiled and I laughed, throwing my head back against the paneling of the van.

"Great." Pete muttered.

"Course you are, Rickey. Of course you are," I laughed.

"They were deliberate, I was fighting the system. Park anywhere, that's me."

"Good policy. I do much the same." The Doctor told him.

 "Hang tight there, Pete," I clarified, "Don't underestimate these guys. I think they have more potential than you realize." 

"Sorry, who are you?" He asked, leaning around Rose to look at me.

"Oh, right. Mary Perdita." I greeted, reaching out to shake his hand.