Chapter Eight: That's All About To Change

We ran out of the cafeteria and ended up locking ourselves in the chemistry classroom. Rose, Mickey, and the kid sat down to gain their bearings while the Doctor, Sarah Jane, and I stood at the front of the classroom. I ended up sitting on top of the front lab table while the Doctor leaned against it beside me.

"Its the oil," The Doctor said suddenly, "Krillitane life forms can't handle the oil! That's it! They've changed their physiology so much that even their own oil is toxic to them!" Rose got up, running over to us.

"How much was there in the kitchens?" I asked her, jumping off of the counter to stand beside the Doctor.

"Barrels of it." Our conversation was interrupted by more Krillitane screeches as their claws began to cut through the door.

"We need to get to the kitchens," The Doctor stated, "Mickey-"

"What now? Hold the coats?" Mickey asked.

"Get all the children unplugged and out of the school. Now then, bats, bats, bats, How do we fight bats?" Just as he said this, the boy walked over to the fire alarm and jammed his elbow into it, setting it off. The screeching suddenly stopped and the Doctor smiled, pushing the door open to find Finch and the other Krillitanes writhing in pain. We took this as our opportunity to run past them, but it wasn't long before the fire alarm stopped.

We ran down the hallway towards the kitchen, K-9 catching up as we did so.

"Master?" He stated.

"Come on, boy! Good boy."

We ran through the the kitchen and the Doctor began scanning the barrels with the screwdriver. 

"They've been deadlock sealed. Finch must have done it, I can't open them."

"The vats would not withstand a direct hit from my laser," K-9 told us, "But my batteries are failing."

"Right, everyone out the back door. K-9, stay with me." Everyone else did what they were asked without question. I didn't move, earning a look from the Doctor.

"Yeah, no, that's not happening and you're going to waste precious time if you try and argue with me." He sighed, crouching down beside K-9. He began scanning him and I immediately began wheeling the vats closer to K-9.

"Capacity for only one shot, master. For maximum impact, I must be stationed directly beside the vat."

"But you'll be trapped inside." The Doctor pointed out.

"That is correct."

"I can't let you do that."

"No alternative possible, master." We heard another Krillitane screech, signaling that they were on their way.

"Goodbye, old friend."

"Goodbye, Master. Goodbye, Mistress." I smiled.

"You good dog." The Doctor told him.

"Affirmative." He twitched his ears in a strangely adorable way, and the Doctor pet his face one last time before standing up and grabbing my hand, pulling me out the back door.  We busted out to find Sarah Jane waiting for us as the Doctor turned to lock it with the sonic.

"Where's K-9?" She instantly asked.

"Sarah, we need to run." I said, grabbing her arm. The Doctor ran past us.

"Where is he?! What have you done!?" I wrapped an arm around her, forcing her to run beside me before passing her off to the Doctor. We all took off running, coming around to the front of the school, where Mickey, Rose, and all the kids were waiting just as the building exploded. Rose and Mickey cheered along with the others, but for the Doctor and Sarah Jane, it wasn't that simple. They'd just lost an old friend.