Chapter Forty-Three: Through the Void

~~~Doctor~~~

Yvonne led Jackie and I into a large room that had an office on one end, surrounded by windows, opening up into a small bull pen. Most of the room was taken up by a collection of machinery pointed at a giant, blank, white wall. 

"The Sphere came through here." She explained, leading me over to the wall. "A hole in the world."

I reached up, putting a hand on it. 

"Not active at the moment, but when we fire particle engines at that exact spot, the breach opens up."

"How did you even find it?" I asked, turning to face her. 

"We were getting warning signs for years," She replied, "A radar black spot. So we built this place. Torchwood Tower. The breach was 600 feet above sea level. It was the only way to reach it." 

 I took the 3D glasses out, putting them on again. 

"You built a skyscraper just to reach a spatial disturbance?" I asked, looking up at the wall through the colored lenses. "How much money have you got?"

"Enough." She turned and walked back towards the bull pen, leaving me to ponder the wall. I took the glasses off, crossing my arms. 

"Hold on a minute," Jackie called from Yvonne's office, "We're in Canary Wharf. Must be. This building its Canary Wharf."

"Well, that is the public name for it. But to those in the know, its Torchwood." 

"So, you find the breach," I said, turning around and re-entering the office, leaning an arm on the door jam, "Probe it, 600 feet above London, bam! It leaves a hole in the fabric of reality. And that hole, you think, 'oh, shall we leave it alone? Shall we back off? Should we play it safe?' Nah, you think 'Let's make it bigger!'." 

"Its a massive source of energy." She argued. "If we can harness that power, we need never depend on the Middle East again. Britain will become truly independent. You can see for yourself. Next Ghost shift's in two minutes."

I stood up straight and she walked past me, standing in the bullpen as the other Torchwood employees typed away on their computers. 

"Cancel it." I said, following her out.

"I don't think so."

"I'm warning you, Cancel it!" I hissed, running up behind her. Whirled around to face me.  turned to face me. 

"Oh, exactly as the legends would have it. The Doctor, lording it over us. Assuming alien authority over the rights of man. 

"Let me show you." I walked back into the office, pulling out the sonic and standing behind the Torchwood mirror. "Sphere comes through."

I scanned the glass, right in the center of the 'O', causing it to crack. The small crack then began to spread all throughout the window, creating a large web of cracks. 

"But when it made the whole, it cracked the world around it," I explained, "The entire surface of this dimension, splintered. And that's how the ghosts get through, that's how they get everywhere. They're bleeding through the fault lines. Walking from their world, cross the void, and into yours. With the human race hoping and wishing and helping them along. But too many ghosts, and..."

I barely taped the window with my index finger and the whole thing shattered, sending shards flying across the sleek grey marble floor. 

"Well, in that case, we'll have to be more careful." Yvonne insisted, turning around again. "Positions, ghost shift in one minute." 

"Miss Hartman, I am asking you, please don't do it." I pleaded, rushing up behind her again. 

"We have done this a thousand times-"