042

january 28th, 2020
9:21 pm

THE NEWS OF KOBE BRYANT was another blow to Jalen's heart

He had been Jalen's idol, the one who had inspired his work ethic.

Now he was another person who was gone and never returning.

Jalen stood next to Nimari and Saba on the football field of their high school.

There was a tribute to Kobe and Gianna Bryant, passing out white LED candles and purple and yellow balloons.

A senior girl that Jalen faintly recognized was in the middle of the circle shape that the people assembled formed, waiting for the chatter to die down a bit.

Jalen paused at the sight of Noelani standing on the field next to Jasmine and Sydney with her own white candle and a purple balloon in her hands.

The breeze picked up, lifting her loose sandy brown curls and making her locks flow with the air.

Once the chatter had, the girl let out a deep sigh, "I never thought I would have to do this. Kobe and Gianna Bryant, as you may know, passed away last Sunday due to a helicopter crash. Kobe was all of our heroes, you didn't have to play a sport to look up to him. His work ethic and his ambition is... Was an inspiration to us all. Life is short, y'all. Protect each other. Value each other. Help each other. Hold on to each other. Love each other."

As the last set of words were spoken, Jalen couldn't help but to look to Noelani.

Perhaps sensing that his eyes were on her, she looked up and stared back for a moment then blinked a couple of times then looked away.

"For Kobe and Gianna." The girl said, releasing the yellow balloon in her hands.

The others quickly repeated her words, followed suit and soon a mass of purple and yellow balloons was released into the dark, starry sky.

Jalen focused his gaze on the sky, letting his eyes trail the outline of the constellation, Orion.

His lips quirked up at the corners as he remembered Noelani teaching him about the stars that night in San Francisco.

"Jalen." At the sound of his name, Jalen turned on his heel to see Noelani standing behind him.

"Lani." Jalen said in surprise.

"It's Noelani to you." She replied coolly, "I just wanted to see how you were doing. I know he was your hero so..." She trailed off.