041

january 20th, 2020
7:21 am

FOR ONCE, NOELANI WAS GLAD TO BE AROUND HER FATHER

Since she had returned from Hawaii over the weekend, Alejandro had been nothing but supportive and understanding, letting Noelani stay in her room and try to heal alone.

Noelani still had the pressing feeling of grief in her chest but she had grown used to it enough to get through a normal day.

Well, at least she hoped that she did.

Noelani sat in the passenger seat of Alejandro's truck as the two sat parked in front of her high school and watched as her peers flooded the entrance of the school.

"You don't have to do this if you're not ready. Heartbreak is, well, it's a bitch. And if seeing Jalen is gonna make it worse..." Alejandro started.

"No, it's okay. I can't hide in my room forever." She said in a low voice, swiping the lose strands from her bun away from her face.

Alejandro's face immediately dropped, letting Noelani know that she sounded more broken than she had meant to.

Alejandro let out a sigh then turned to face Noelani, "If at any time, you feel like today is just too hard, I want you to come to my office so I can give you my keys. Okay?"

"Okay." Noelani nodded.

At the feeling of Alejandro embracing her, she stiffened up a bit then relaxed and wrapped one arm halfheartedly around him.

"Okay. You're gonna bounce back from this, I promise." Alejandro stated.

"You sound like Uncle Kai," Noelani noted as she hopped out of the silver truck.

"Kai," Alejandro shook his head and slid out of the driver's seat then closed the door behind him, "That man never liked me."

"Okay, I have to go. I'm already gonna be late." Noelani said, readjusting the backpack strap on her right shoulder.

"Have a good day." Alejandro said then headed inside through the administration entrance on the far left of the school.

Noelani blended into the thinning crowd that was still heading into school.

She headed straight for her locker and stopped at the sight of her two best friends, Sydney and Jasmine, waiting right in front of it.

Noelani contemplated turning around and getting her dad's keys so she could head home to her dogs and just be left alone.