025

november 12th, 2019
6:54 pm

NOELANI MOVED HER STILL STRAIGHTENED HAIR OVER HER SHOULDER BEFORE TURNING TO HER DAD AND HER STEPMOTHER

They were standing on Jalen's front porch, about to ring the doorbell so they could enter for the planned dinner between the two families.

"Please don't embarrass me in there. Jalen values his mom's opinion a lot and I need her to like me. So please, please, please don't say or do anything dumb or ignorant." Noelani spoke the last line to her stepmother.

"We won't. It's cold, please ring the doorbell." Alejandro gestured to the circular doorbell and Noelani jammed her finger into it.

She nervously smoothed the oversized black cardigan she was wearing over a long sleeved shirt, jeans and Uggs as the door opened.

Jurnee grinned up at her then hugged her around the waist.

Noelani embraced the girl back with an equally big smile.

"Let them in! You're letting all the cold air in!" Bree said, her voice coming from the kitchen.

The house was comfortably warm with the mixed smell of lemon scented candles and garlicky chicken adobo in the air.

"Hi, Noel! Everyone's already in the dining room." Bree smiled at her.

Alejandro closes the door behind the three and they took their shoes off to leave them by the staircase.

"Do you need some help?" Noelani asked Bree as she followed her to the kitchen.

"Yes, dear. If you could just hold..." Bree trailed off, pointing to an aluminum foil tray that was full of light brown noodles, cut up vegetables and scrambled eggs.

Noelani carefully picked up the tray and followed Bree into the dining room.

Their dining room table was a long, traditional wooden table with carvings on the legs.

Marcus, Jalen's stepdad was sitting at the head of the table while everyone else was filled in on the sides of the table.

Jalen and Erin were sitting on the right side while Jurnee and Alejandro were on the left side and Bree sat at the other end of the table.

"Noel, sit next to me!" Jurnee said, patting the cushion on the chair adjacent to hers.

Noelani eyes the empty chair next to Jalen with slight longing but sits in the chair Jurnee indicated previously.