six. the way i loved you

[ 1x03 winning a battle, losing the war - part 1 ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mackenzie was comfortably asleep, no dreams clouding her deep sleep. The door creaked open and a light shone on her face. She tried to ignore it, but a finger poked her shoulder.

"What?" she grumbled, trying to ignore whoever was interrupting some of the best sleep she's gotten in a while.

"I think I saw a rat in the attic," whispered George.

She opened her eyes and saw George's disheveled hair and frightened eyes above her. She glanced at the clock. It was two in the morning; she had at least three more hours of sleep. "And what do you want me to do about it?"

George couldn't seem to find the words. "I - um, I just thought-"

"Get in and put a pillow between us," she answered for him. George was never going to get a girl if he couldn't form a coherent sentence in front of one.

Mackenzie closed her eyes and tried to settle back into the bed. She felt the bed dip behind her, George getting in as well. Her mind brought back a memory that was buried deep in her brain, one out of many she decided to lock away after med school. As she closed her eyes, the memory came flooding back all too quickly

The apartment was quiet as Mackenzie slept, another day of classes wearing her out. Her other roommate - who she got placed with at the beginning of the semester - was snoring lightly in the other room.

Her phone rang on her bedside and although she could hear it in the depths of her mind, she ignored it, wanting to get as much sleep she could before another day of classes. Once it rang again, she had to wake up. It must be important.

She opened her phone. "Hello?"

"Kenzie," Alex's voice cracked as he answered. "Please come open your door."

He hung up right after and Mackenzie quickly got up from her bed. Making sure she didn't wake up her roommate, she tiptoed to the front door and opened it. Alex stood before her, his eyes a deep red. He rarely looked like this, only when...

"Come to my room," she said, putting an arm around his waist and bringing him to her room. She sat him down on her bed, placing a hand in his, her other running slowly through his hair. He was shaking beneath her."Take your time."

She learned to give him a couple of seconds, even minutes, to talk about what happened. He wasn't the most open guy; it took a while for him to finally tell Mackenzie about his past about six months into their relationship. It was horrific: him traveling from foster home to foster home and having a deadbeat dad and mentally ill mother.

It explained his panic attacks he had once every few months when he had to go and visit his family to check up on them and do some bills. She never brought up the subject of family as her's wasn't as great, but even if it was great, she wouldn't remind Alex of his undesirable past.