nineteen. through the dark

[ 2x03 make me lose control - part 2 ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mackenzie and Alex were checking on Kelly as Derek came in. He smirked at the two. "Glad to see you two working together still."

Alex scoffed. "Of course we are, Dr.Shepherd."

Mackenzie shoved him lightly as she went to throw her gloves away.

Derek composed himself as he turned his attention towards the patient. "Hey Kelly."

"Hi Dr-" her face went beat red like earlier. "Dr.Shepherd. God, sorry. Damn it."

Mackenzie glanced up when Meredith walked into the room She seemed a bit out of it still, but Mackenzie decided not to question her about it.

"Kelly," Derek tried calming her down. "This might be the last time that ever happens. How are her labs?"

"H and H are stable," stated Alex.

"Chest rays show no acute process," finished Mackenzie.

"Good. See how you two just bounce off each other? Love it!" exclaimed Derek. Mackenzie gave him a warning glare. "You ready to go, Kelly?"

"Are you kidding? I've been ready since third grade," said Kelly.

"Did you read the literature I gave you? Do you understand the possible side effects?" asked Derek.

"Compensatory sweating of the back, legs, abdomen, thighs and legs, possible gustatory sweating. Horner's syndrome occurs in less than one percent of patients. Brachial plexus injury, pneumothorax and hemothorax are highly unlikely, but possible side effects of the surgery," she recited.

Everyone stared at her in shock.

"You did your homework," mused Derek. He looked up at Mackenzie. "Take her to pre op. I'll alert the O.R."

Once Derek opened the door, screaming could be heard from across the hall. Mackenzie glanced out and saw Ellis Grey throwing a tissue box at George. Mackenzie ran outside, Alex and Meredith following her.

Ellis was yelling about someone named Thatcher and mentioned Meredith a couple of times. It was a bunch of random words to Mackenzie as she had no idea what it meant. She went to check on Meredith, but she wasn't there.

"I wouldn't want to be here either if I were Meredith," mumbled Alex.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Okay, Dr.Karev, if we're gonna stop her blushing, we have to expose the sympathetic ganglion chain which resides where?"

The O.R. door barged opened behind them, Webber rushing in with George. "It's time to clear me for surgery, Shepherd."