one. hello seattle

[1x01 a hard day's night - part 1]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

The intern mixer was already bustling with young newcomers eager to start their first day the following morning as Mackenzie Sloan walked in. She clutched her purse in her sweaty palms and made sure her dress was smoothed out before walking into the small crowd. She could point out her fellow interns: they were the ones on the side, barely speaking a word to each other. The only one that stood out was a black, curly haired asian woman who was talking to Preston Burkey, one of the best Cardio Attendees in the country.

Mackenzie had no interest in Cardio, so fighting for a conversation with Burke wasn't high on her list. She tried looking around for the attendee of the profession she desired, but the one listed on the website wasn't here. Disappointed, she went to the bar and got herself a glass of wine.

"Hi!"

Mackenzie's heart jumped a bit at the very enthusiastic voice from behind her. She set her glass down on the counter and turned around. The boy was slightly shorter than her and his brown hair only came down to the top of his forehead. His brown eyes were bright as he held his hand out.

"George O'Malley."

Mackenzie shook his hand. "Mackenzie Sloan."

The mention of her last name seemed to have no effect on him. Usually, she would get "oh my god you're Mark Sloan's sister!" and then explain how she's not into plastics and that she really doesn't talk to Mark anymore. Maybe he was a bigshot on the east coast and not here.

"You excited for tomorrow?" George asked.

Mackenzie nodded. "Oh yeah, it'll be a nice fresh start for me."

Memories of a couple of months ago flashed through her head. She took a deep breath and gulped down the rest of her wine, asking the bartender for another one.

"It wasn't a long trip for me, I went to Oregon Health and Science University. What about you?"

Mackenzie dreaded this topic as well. This one was unavoidable as well, but she always felt embarrassed and lower than others when she admitted where she went. "University of Iowa."

Again, George surprised her with giving her a reaction she didn't expect. "That's so cool! I always get the 'Harvard' or 'Stanford'. Glad to have a fellow public university alum here. We're just as good as the private alums."

Mackenzie clinked her glass with his. "You got that right, O'Malley."

"I've been wanting to talk to Doctor Burke over there, but that girl won't leave him," sighed George.

Mackenzie took her refilled glass and glanced over to see the curly haired girl still trying to talk to Burke. She shrugged, "Seems like she's dead set on Cardio."