seven. dear future self

[ 1x03 winning a battle, losing the war - part 2 ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Crap."

The scan finally showed up on the computer and Derek let out a sigh next to Mackenzie. He pointed at the screen. "Dr.Sloan, can you tell me what that is?"

Mackenzie eyed the scan, her heart slowly falling in her chest. "It's a tumor in his brain."

"How did he not know he had it?" asked Alex.

"He either ignored his headaches or miraculously didn't have them." Derek clicks off the screen. "Dr.Sloan I need you to go down to Radiology and get these scans. Karev, you can scrub in with us on Lewis' surgery."

Mackenzie wanted to be excited about scrubbing in on a brain tumor surgery, but this was on someone she cared about. She didn't think she'd have to treat someone she actually knew during her time here at Seattle Grace.

"I can't," said Alex. "I'm scrubbing in on a heart surgery with Dr.Burke."

The head of cardio's name seemed to annoy Derek almost immediately. He didn't say a word as he motioned for Mackenzie to follow him. She gave Alex one last look before following Derek.

"What's up with you and Burke?" she asked as they got in the elevator.

Mackenzie pressed floor one while Derek pressed three.

Derek chuckled. "Like I'm going to tell you what's going on in my life."

"Listen here," she stated sternly, standing in front of him. "I have kept Addison a secret from everyone, especially Meredith because she seems to like you. And you seem to like her. You're a good guy and Meredith would be lucky to have you. Even though you're being an ass to me right now, I still haven't went against you."

Derek pursed his lips. She was right and he hated that. The wall between them seemed to break down a little. "Webber promised me chief of surgery when he retired when I came here. Burke was under the impression he was going to get it. So, it's safe to say there's an unspoken war going on between us right now."

Mackenzie backed off a bit, glad he was finally opening up somewhat to her like he used to. "You deserve it."

"You haven't seen Burke yet," he told her. "He's really good at what he does."

"Yeah, but you're better."

The floor chimed and they were on the third floor.

"Get those scans and meet me in O.R two in a couple of hours!" called out Derek as he rushed out.

Mackenzie got the scans quickly and brought them up to Derek. As he was studying them, Mackenzie went to Lewis' room where she was going to prep him for surgery.