twelve. fix you

[ 1x07 the self-destruct button ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Alex's POV

Two things kept Alex up that night, making him exhausted for his next day of work:

The first reason was Annie Connors. He had talked behind her back, not knowing she could actually hear what he was saying. She hated him as she died on the O.R table. He had the O-Neg blood in his hands to save her, but he was too late. Her face could possibly haunt him for the rest of his life.

Secondly, Mackenzie. The move he pulled was dumb, but also worth it. Just being able to feel her skin against his drove him crazy. He missed her so damn much, too much at times, but he was scared. What if he hurt her again? Sometimes he couldn't trust himself.

Everyone else seemed to be tired in the intern's room as people were yawning from left to right. Supposedly, Meredith kept her roommates up all night from her sex life. Alex did admit Meredith was hot, she could probably pull anyone from the hospital, except him. Not that he thought of himself above the others (well, sometimes he did), but that he only had eyes for the tall blonde downing espresso shots next to her.

He saw Mackenzie glance over at him, but it was for the briefest second. She seemed nervous around him now. He hoped he hadn't made her feel uncomfortable.

I did ask her if she wanted me to stop and she said no, he reminded himself.

Bailey had called them out before Alex could make any move to talk to her. He grabbed his pager and rushed out. He was about to walk next to Mackenzie, but Cristina shoved him out of the way and gave him a smirk. He scowled at her.

"O'Malley, Sloan, Yang, Karev - go on to the pit," Bailey instructed them.

Alex's heart skipped a beat - like it always did - when he was assigned with Mackenzie. He'd been with her and Shepherd for a bit, allowing them to get closer and work together. He loved watching her analyze patient's cases and seeing her realize what was wrong with him or her. The way she worked in the O.R was flawless; rarely any interns in their program had stepped foot in there, yet here she was scrubbing in on most of Shepherd's surgeries. It wasn't a game of favorites - Alex remembering her talk about Derek, his family, and Mark back in New York - Mackenzie had raw talent. He strived to be as good as her.

Almost immediately, George tugs on Mackenzie's coat and they go off somewhere else. Alex rolls his eyes and clenches his fists at his side as he continues to walk to the clinic. He saw the way George looked at Mackenzie; it was the way he did, only he was allowed to do it. Not anyone else. Hell, he doesn't blame guys for staring in her direction. She's the girl you see on vacation and never see again; someone who sticks in your memory no matter how much time goes by. Even with that, he still wanted to punch George in the face.