eleven. the night we met

[ 1x06 if tomorrow never comes- part 2 ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Alex!"

Mackenzie set her food down on the table where her friends were sitting, a scolding look on her face.

Alex sighed, "What now?"

"You got kicked off the case? Why?" Mackenzie's eyes widened as she answered the question for herself. "She heard you, didn't she?"

"I thought the mic was off," defended Alex.

"Still shouldn't have said it," said Mackenzie. "Because since I was there I got kicked off the case as well. I didn't even say anything!"

Alex scoffed, "Oh, come on. You were about to throw up at the sight of her tumor. Cristina says crap every day and gets away with it."

"If I stuck this fork into his thigh, would I get in trouble?" wondered Cristina, holding up her plastic fork.

"Not if you make it look like an accident," answered Meredith.

"Hey guys!" George sat down with them as well.

The table was a little crowded with Mackenzie, Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, Alex, and George here. Even with their little banter, Mackenzie found it nice to have good friends in this hospital.

"Thank god man, I'm drowning in estrogen here," Alex said.

Mackenzie felt her chair scoot by force as George squeezed his way in between her and Alex. Mackenzie stabbed her pasta salad a bit too forcefully with her fork. She was off such a huge case all because Alex couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"Are you alright?" asked George, leaning closer to the blonde.

Mackenzie looked up. "I got kicked off the tumor case."

"Because of me," Alex smiled and Mackenzie threw a grape at him.

George cleared his throat. "Well, you know everyone has bad days. Maybe tonight, uh, if you know - if you drink alcohol I mean - we could - all of us, I mean, go out and drink alcohol."

Mackenzie stared at him, trying to decipher George's stuttered sentence. She didn't know what he was trying to get at.

"I have to go," Meredith sighs as her pager beeps. She gives George an amused look as she walks off.

Mackenzie remembers her conversation with Derek and pushes her chair back. "Give me a moment."

She swore she could hear laughs and snickers behind her when she ran after Meredith, but that wasn't something she was concerned about right now.

"Mer!"

Meredith turned around just as she got to the elevator. "Yeah?"

"Listen, I know you like to solve your sex and love life by yourself, but I need to tell you this," says Mackenzie. "Derek really likes you and from all the years I've known him..." she made sure not to mention Addison, remembering her promise to Derek. "I've never seen him look at someone the way he looks at you. I don't know all the details of your...thing, but trust me when I say he's a great guy and because of that, screw what everyone else thinks."