thirty. strange

[ 2x17 as we know it ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mackenzie and Derek continued on with the surgery. She assisted when needed and handed Derek the correct tools when he asked for them. She couldn't believe she was doing this while there was a bomb down the hall - in a man's body - that could explode at any second. Everyone on this floor would be dead in seconds.

Call her crazy or not, but she preferred this than sitting somewhere else, worrying about what was going to happen. Meredith and Cristina were in the room as well, so she'd be stressed about what would happen to them. Mackenzie hoped she'd get out of this alive, but if she were to die, why not go out doing the thing she loved the most?

"Suction," instructed Derek.

Mackenzie did as told, watching Derek carefully after she pulled the suction away. He seemed calm, a bit too calm for the situation they were in.

"You okay?" she asked.

Derek continued to work, not giving Mackenzie a glance. "Bailey's husband is on the table with his brain exposed and there's a bomb that could go off any minute next door. I'm doing wonderful. You?"

"Super," stated Mackenzie.

She kept quiet after that, not wanting to interrupt his work again. The quicker they did this, the quicker they could get out.

Thirty minutes later, the door opened. Mackenzie glanced up, confused as to why Cristina was walking in.

"This area's been evacuated, Dr. Yang," informed Derek.

"And somehow you're still here," said Cristina.

"I have to be. You don't."

Mackenzie looked at her. "Cristina, please leave."

"I can't. I have to be here," retorted Cristina.

Derek sighed. "No you don't."

"Yes I do!" huffed Cristina. "Besides, you guys could use some company."

Mackenzie pursed her lips under her mask; she knew Cristina wasn't going to leave here without force.

As Cristina put on her gown, she asked, "How's he doing?"

"Hanging in there," answered Derek. "How's that paramedic Hannah doing?"

Cristina looked up, confused. "Hannah?"

"The girl with the bomb," clarified Derek.

"Oh, um, she's hanging in there too."

Cristina and Mackenzie made eye contact. Her best friend looked worried, more than she should. She was about to ask what was wrong, but Cristina lightly shook her head.