twenty nine. in my blood

[ 2x16 it's the end of the world ]

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Do you ever wake up one morning and everything just starts going wrong? It sets the mood for the day, like you know nothing will go right. An unsettling pit is dug in your stomach from that point forward and there's no going back.

It's only happened two other times in Mackenzie Sloan's life. The first was when she had the fallout with her family and the other was when Alex broke up with her. Both those days started out with her sleeping in and missing class, which resulted in her missing breakfast. Then, traffic would be horrible and someone would almost crash into her. She'd trip walking to class and then not answer the question right when she was called on. The day would continue on like that, little mishaps which was building to something bigger.

Mackenzie knew it wasn't going to be her day when Izzie came in and tapped her awake. They were already leaving in five minutes. Mackenzie skipped breakfast and did everything in seconds as her friends walked out the door. Just as she expected, traffic was bad and an old minivan ran a stop sign.

"No one knows how to drive today!" Izzie yelled at them.

Once in the hospital, Mackenzie tripped going up the steps, but a pair of hands caught her. She thanked the person before looking up at their face.

Alex Karev gave her a soft smile, letting her go and rushing up the steps ahead of her.

It had been a couple of months since Alex cheated on Mackenzie. A couple of long, enduring months of avoidance or awkward exchanges as they worked on a patient. After a few poor attempts to get her back, he had seemed to give up. She expected him to move on to another girl (or girls), but he kept to himself most of the time. She would sometimes catch him staring at her as she was doing paperwork or in the gallery as she assisted with a surgery, but there was nothing else. She had grown to forgive what he had done, knowing she couldn't be angry with him forever; it wasn't good for her mental wellbeing. Although, she wouldn't forget it.

Derek helped her a lot through everything, she was even warming up to Addison. However, her real support system were her best friends. Meredith and Cristina were like her twisted sisters; their coping mechanism was going to Joe's, drinking tequila, and letting Mackenzie flirt with random guys in the bar (but doing nothing more than that). George was very respectful in listening to her rants and if Mackenzie ever needed a shoulder to cry on, Izzie was there (not as much earlier on as she was invested in her patient: Denny Duquette).

Mackenzie tried to bury the feeling as she went out to wait for a trauma with her fellow interns.

"Hey, wanna do charts later?" Alex asked her.

Mackenzie glanced over at him, surprised her was actually speaking to her. "No thanks."

"Come on, I need help with them," he urged.