41. I don't need your help

I smiled when Will sat down next to me with a cup of coffee in her hand that my mother had put on this morning. She placed her free hand in front of her mouth as she yawned to hide it, which was a little cute. Then she took a sip of her beverage, which seemed acceptable.

"What?" She asked when she noticed that I was staring at her. 

"Nothing," I shook my head, and my mother sat down in the chair to the right from us. She, like Will, had a cup in her hand; she looked exhausted, though. I think she came home pretty late yesterday. Since Simon moved in, my mother had started to pick up late shifts at the hospital. 

They were in desperate need of one of the nurses to work late evenings and nights. My mom thought it would be a good idea to do. She gets paid more when working at night. It's taking a toll on her, though. But Simon has taken a big responsibility for Jake, which I don't think either of them mind. 

Simon is like the best friend my brother never had or a dad for that matter. I don't want to be mean to my father, but Simon has been incredible with Jake. He has brought him out of his misery. 

They go to the park to kickball, or when the weather is terrible, they stay inside to play video games. Now since mom is gone most of the day, Simon makes dinner and helps Jake with his homework. He has been amazing to all of us. I'm happy that my mother found someone who is as kind as he is. 

A knock on the front door interrupted the silence. My mother and I looked strangely at each other, wondering who would come for a visit at nine in the morning on a Sunday. Mom placed her cup on the table and found her way out of the living room.

"What are you doing here?" I heard my mother say, and not long after, I see my father coming into the living room with a frown on his face when he saw me. I swallowed roughly and shrank further down into the couch. His eyes went over Willow for a second but then gazed upon mom as she stood next to him, crossing her arms. My dad knows nothing about Willow, not even the fact that she exists. 

"What is it, Garry?" She asked him, clearly annoyed with his uninvited visit. 

"School called me on Friday, while I was out of town, and they said that Harley hasn't been at school for a few days," He said firmly, and if only there were a hole on the couch where I could hide in. Willow turned to me in confusion, so did my mother. 

"But you went to school," Will said, narrowing her eyes, and I bit my lip as I looked down at my hands. 

"Who are you?" My father asked, sounding bewildered yet as well offended. 

"I'm Willow," She said, standing up and offered my father her hand, which he took, but still don't understand.

"She is a friend," My mother explained before Willow could say anything else; mom gave Will an apologetic look. We both know if Willow had told him that we are together, world war three would have erupted. Willow sat back down silently, but I can tell she is not quite happy. 

I'm already in trouble, and dad finding out that I have kept my relationship hidden for so long now, it would make it worse. Why do I always have to consider other people's feelings before my own? I'm old enough to make my own decisions, which does not necessarily mean that they would all be good. I know that, but isn't that what life is all about. 

"Why haven't you been at school, Harley?" Mom asked softly and worriedly. 

"No reason," I shrugged, and Will turned to me quickly with a frown.  

"You can't skip school, Harley; you are going to graduate at the end of the year," My dad said in frustration. I clenched my jaw, trying with all my might to contain the storm in me. 

"I know, I'll be back on Monday," I said, giving them what they want to hear. 

"Good, and no more skipping," Dad told me strictly. 

"I need to go," He said, looking at the watch on his arm before saying goodbye to everyone while mom followed him out. 

"You need to talk to me, Harley," Willow turned herself to face me. 

"We need to fix this problem at school, not avoid it. It's not going to make the issue go away," She said, and I only shrugged at her words. 

"Harley," She lifted my head with her hand under my chin.

"I know it's easier to avoid it, I really do because I have done that myself, I still do, but sometimes I have to face and accept that it's not going to do any good," She said, and I nodded as she took her hand away from me. Mother returned into the living room; hands rested on her waist as she left out a big breath. 

"What's going on, Harley?" Mom asked, concerned as she sat back down in her seat, and I reminded silent, too embarrassed to say anything. 

"Is it that you aren't bothered to go or that there is a problem?" She asked. 

"I'll fix it," I answered this time, a bit too harsh. 

"I know school is not easy at times, and the pressure can be too high," Mom said, and I shook my head.

"That's not the issue," I told her, and she tilted her head slightly. 

"Then what is it?" She asked. 

"I'll help her," Willow said before I could form a word, and it made me clench my jaw. I don't want her help; I don't want anyone's help. 

"I'll solve it," I told her coldly. 

"I told you to do that a while ago, and you didn't," Willow said and let out a breath as she rubbed her forehead. 

"I don't need your help," I argued as I got up from my seat to find my bedroom.