38. I'm not leaving you here

I step down the school hallway feeling all eyes one. It comes to a point where I hide with the hoodie over my head. I stop in front of my locker and search for my science books. 

"Harley," I turn, facing my friend Alissa. 

"Are you okay?" She wonders, and I swear if someone else asks me that question again, I will snap. Will wouldn't let it go. She kept pushing to the point where I left her apartment. I know she is only doing it to help, but there is nothing to be done. What goes around will come around. Teenagers are the worst, and even if I went to someone with these problems, they would still remain there. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I tell her and close my locker. 

"How are things with Willow?" She smiles at me, but I can't seem to give it back.

"It's okay," I tell her, thinking about Will again, which only leaves me with sadness. I haven't talked to her since I left her a couple of days ago. Luckily I don't have work until tomorrow, so it gives me some time to figure out what to say. 

"I'm worried about you," Alissa says, and I narrow my eyes. 

"I'm fine," I smile this time, but she seems unsure. 

"Okay, can I borrow your phone?" She asks.

"Okay," I say, unsure as I hand it over to her. 

"I need to text my mom, and my phone doesn't want to work today," She tells me, and I shrug, not really caring as she returns it to me. 

"Thank you, let's go to class," She wraps her arm around mine to pull me after her. 

After what felt like an eternity, I'm finally free from the class. All eyes on me as we were there. It's overwhelming. It feels like I am standing on the ocean floor, staring up at everyone who is looking down at me. It's hard to breathe because of the water in my lungs, and every step I make is so heavy. 

I pull the hoodie back over my head, gazing down at the floor as I pass people who are whispering around me. I take a deep breath, trying to contain my anger and tears that want to escape me. 

I stop as I almost walked into someone; I lift my head gazing up at Willow. Her eyes filled with concern as she is only looking at me. She takes a step towards me and pulls the hoodie down from my head. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, and she raises her eyebrows.

"You texted me," She says.

"No, I didn't," I shake my head, not understanding what she is on about. 

"Are you sure?" Will pulls out her phone, and I see a text from me saying that: I'm at school and that I need her. I didn't send her that. Of course, I close my eyes realizing it was my friend who did that.

"Alissa must have sent it," I explain to her, and she puts her phone back in her pocket. 

"Well, I'm glad she did because this is not okay, Harley," She tells me, and here we go again. 

"I'm fine," I argue, wishing to be left alone. 

"Harley," She places her hands on my cheeks, keeping my eyes on her.

"Stop lying to me. It's painful seeing you like this because I care about you so much," Will tells me, her green eyes searching through mine. A lump in the back of my throat makes me well up. I lay my arms around her to hide my face in her shoulder as tears burst out my eyes.  

"It's okay," Willow whispers in my ear as she holds me close. I don't care if it's going to become a bigger problem for me at school. For now, I need comfort. 

"I'm sorry," I mumble against her shirt, which I have left all my tears on. 

"You have nothing to apologize for," She tells me, and I clutch onto the back of her shirt. I hold onto her for a little while before I push myself back from her. 

"I'm sorry," I say again without thinking as I dry the wetness of my face.

"Stop it," Will tells me as she helps to take away the tears from my cheeks. 

"Let's go," She says.

"I can't, Will, I have school," I tell her, and she shakes her head.

"I'm not leaving you here," He green eyes pleading at me. 

"Fine," I give in, and she smiles a little. 

"Good," She takes my hand to pull me along with her. People keep glancing at both of us, which makes me shrink.