19. Well, don't make her blush

I spent the night at Willow's. She tried to keep her eyes open the whole time, but she couldn't take the struggle at the end. She looked so adorable, how she tried to fight sleep. I guess sleep is one of the few wars we can't win against.

Willow is beautiful when she sleeps. There is just something about watching her like that. Her eyes closed, her breathing in the same rhythm, and her moving back and forth in bed. How can someone look so precious and gorgeous?

The older girl opens her eyes, and I feel my heart tingle that she smiled when she saw me.

"Hi." She whispers as she reaches out for my hand to take it in hers. Her invitation and warmth feel like the only important thing right now because this means a lot to me. She means a lot to me.

So this small, gentle gesture of her is a step further. At least that is what I think because I have struggled to make a mark in her heart. I hope this is a sign that I have. That I mean something to her, even though it's not much.

"Have you been sleeping?" She mumbles, half asleep as she closes her eyes.

"Yeah," I tell her, and I smile as I feel her thumb caressing my skin. It feels so nice that I close my own eyes, lying right next to her. Her slow breathing is soothing to listen to.

"Shit!" I almost fall out of bed by Willow's shouting, scaring me so much. She reaches for something on the floor, which was her phone.

"I need to go to the restaurant like now." Willow groans as she gets out of bed and rushes out the bedroom door. I just lay here, taking everything that just happened.

"Come on!" She yells to me, and I stumble out of bed, almost falling on my butt on the way.

"I'm up," I say as I take on my sweater and find my way into the living room.

"Okay, then let's go." She grabbed the keys on the table and rushed out the door, and I follow after. I get into her car, waiting while she locks the door.

Not long after, she comes into the car and starts driving in a hurry. I hold onto the seat belt in both of my hands. She is driving like a lunatic that my whole body tenses up.

"Sorry, but I am very late." She says, speeding even more up.

"No, it's fine. I always wanted to die like this, you know." I say nervously, and Willow looks at me, almost laughing. I'm glad she finds me funny. Then she gets a sad look on her face, and the speed falls to regular.

"Are you okay?" I ask, and she nods. Well, something must be wrong, since she just turned so quiet and sad all of a sudden. I stay silent like her because I don't want to make it worse, even though I don't know why.

Ten minutes and we are there. Willow turns off the car and gets outside. She even managed to get inside the restaurant before I got my butt out of my seat. I don't start work until like three hours. I don't know what to do, can always call mom to pick me up, but I am just going to think about it for now.

I like this place, and I don't mind staying. The second I open the door, Grace stands there with her mouth open, seeming very confused.

"Did you two just come together in the same car?" She asks, and I roll my eyes as I find myself into the kitchen. There are no customers in the restaurant yet. It's usually quiet in the morning, but still, Willow needs to come earlier to prepare for the day.

She is stressing around the kitchen, along with her mother, but she is calmer. Helena has been here for a little while, so I guess she has it under control. It's just Willow who is too concerned. She needs to relax more and breathe.

"You don't start until a few hours, Harley." The older woman says and stands right in front of me with a kind smile.

"Go sit down, and I make some pancakes for you," Helena tells me as she lays her hand on my arm.

"You don't have to."

"I want to." She smiles at me, and I nod as I step back out to Grace, cleaning the tables and checking that the menus are at the right place. I find myself a seat, staring out the window at the fresh rain coming down from the clouds.

I watch Grace sit down in front of me, and she is looking at me strangely.

"What?" I question, annoyed by her staring.

"So, what have you two been up to?" She asks with a grin, and I move back in shock at what she just said.

"What?" I ask, completely confused.

"Are you two a thing or something?" She wonders, still digging.

"No," I say because I don't even know. It was amazing yesterday, though. Willow kissed me, told me she had dreams as well, and I spent the night at her place for the second time.

Grace stares at me as if she is looking as if I lied or something. I mean, Willow and I just kissed a few times, but we haven't really talked about everything. Honestly, I don't think she wants to talk about it.

I feel the sadness creep into me like the cold. I have strong feelings for a woman who is older than I am. Someone who has already started a good life, owning a restaurant and having her own home to go to.

While I am seventeen years old, still at school, struggling with a bully, which is such a cliché. Then there is the fact that I live at home with my mother and brother—a messed-up family. I am a kid if you look through everyone's eyes. Her eyes.

"Why the sad face?" Helena asks, making me almost jump in my seat.

"I don't know. Her whole face just changed." Grace says, and I roll my eyes and give her the death glare.

"I'm okay, just tired," I say and as Helena place the plate with the delicious pancakes. Grace winked at me. Seriously? She doesn't know how to stop, does she?

"Thank you." I smile at Willow's mother. She is such a kind and good-hearted woman.

"At least it got your pretty smile back on your face." I look down at my food, cheeks completely red right now.

"Well, don't make her blush." Grace laughs, and I roll my eyes again. Then I see Willow leaning on the doorframe with her arms crossed over her chest, looking at all of us, but I can see that her eyes are on me.

She seems thoughtful. There is no smile or anything that I can read out of her, except that I know she is thinking about something. Her gaze falls to the floor for a second as her arms fall to her side.

I wonder what she was thinking.