44. Absolutely nothing

Mom sat down next to me on the couch as I let out a deep breath. My right leg won't stop shaking uncontrollably. Willow faced me and furrowed her eyebrows, but then laid her hand on top of my knee to stop it. 

"It will be fine," She whispered. I nodded, yet I can't contain the storm of racing thoughts about how dad would react to our conversation. Would he shout? Would he force me to go to college or work for his company? I just don't know what to expect.  

Simon entered the room and placed a few treats on the table. A knock on the door stole his attention. I clutched onto Willow's hand in a hurry as I heard the voice of my father. I'm not scared of him. I'm scared of disappointing him. I think that is what bothers me the most with dad. I let go of Willow's hand in a hurry. If Will was annoyed or let down by it, she didn't show it. 

Dad came into the living room, followed by Simon, who frowned. I could hear them talk, but not the conversation itself. 

"Coffee?" Simon asked my father.

"Yes, please," He answered. When Simon left for the kitchen, dad turned to us in confusion. 

"What is happening here?" He asked and sat down on the couch across from us, but we are divided by the coffee table. 

"I need to catch a plane, so we need to make this fast," He said as he looked at his watch. 

"Well, that plane can wait if anything," My mother rolled her eyes.

"Because we need to talk about something important, and you are going to listen," She raised her finger.

"And yes, your opinion is going to be heard as well, yet it's not your decision to make," Mom told him firmly, and he shifted in his seat as he cleared his throat.  

"Okay," He sounded confused but reminded quietly as he waited. The black spots underneath his eyes weren't hard to see. He looks drained, as if he requires a long vacation. Simon came back with a cup and placed it in front of my father, and left again. 

"Harley has decided on not going to college this year and will continue working where she is," Dad tilted his head as he looked at me. 

"It's her decision and," 

"I know," Dad said unexpectedly. 

"I'm sorry?" Mom said as she bent forward, and dad snorted as he leaned back into the couch.

"I know it's Harley's decision, and if that is what she wishes to do," He gazed at me with a smile. 

"Then she should do it," His words caught us all by surprise. 

"Are you feeling alright?" Mom asked him shockingly, and he laughed. 

"For the first time in my life, I'm actually feeling alright," He grinned from ear to ear, which is unusual to be him. 

"I have decided to sell the company. I can't do it anymore. My father might turn in his grave for that, but I have lost everything I love to that company. Including myself," He sighed, shaking his head. 

"I will sell it and retire. Then do the thing that I always wished to do, absolutely nothing," Dad laughed. 

"I'm not the man my father wanted me to be and his expectations became my own towards Harley and Jake. I have finally let go of the burden and I'm not going to do that same to them," He smiled at me. 

"You should have done that years ago," Mom sighed, but then smiled. 

"I know," He said. 

"Well, there is another thing," I said as I looked down at my hands with a blush.

"Yeah?" He said, and I swallowed deeply as I turned to Willow, who smiled back at me.  

"Willow is not just a friend," I cleared my throat. 

"She is my girlfriend," I said and his eyes widened. 

"Oh, okay," Dad sounded astonished and baffled.

"I guess we can all talk more once I have sold the company and everything is in line," He smiled as he stood up.  

"I'm sorry, I do really have to catch that flight," He looked at his watch again. 

"I think this was an important talk for all of us and I hope I can get to know you more, Willow, once I have time for it," He grinned towards her.

"That would be nice," She smiled in return. 

"Perhaps we can all grab a dinner at your restaurant," He said thoughtfully. 

"And I mean all of us," He added.

"Including Simon?" Mom asked, and dad rolled his eyes. 

"Sure," He chuckled.