17. I'm trying to jump over them

My car is dead. It won't drive anymore, so my mom had to get me to school and work. It's annoying because I can't go anywhere whenever I want to.

"You have a good day at work, honey." She smiles at me.

"Thank you," I tell her, but as I was about to go out of the car, she started to speak again.

"I'm sorry about dad and me," She sighs as she looks at me sadly.

"I know it's been hard on you and your brother. You don't show it as your brother does, but I can see it in your anger and frustration." Mom has an apologizing look on her face.

"I feel horrible that you and your brother can't have a normal family like everyone else..."
"Mom, there is nothing that is called normal, okay? I can understand why you left dad, and I don't blame you for it. Jake, he misses spending time with you and dad." I tell mom, and light seems to have come to her mind.

"You should spend some time with him. Take him somewhere, to the movies, to the park, the beach just anything that would put a smile on his face again." I say, and she nods with a motivated smile on her face.

"I will do that." She tells me, and I nod happily.

"What about you?" She asks. I watch her confused, not understanding what she means.

"What can I do for you to make it better?" She wonders, and I shrug.

"You and dad are not my only issues, mom. I'm seventeen, remember." I chuckle, which makes mom laugh as well.

"You want to talk about those problems?" She wonders, and I shrug again.

"I don't know. It's complicated." I tell her, she raises her eyebrow.

"Teenagers are complicated, honey." She says, and I roll my eyes. Of course, we are complicated.

"We can talk about it now, or we can wait?" Mom smiles lightly at me. I look at the time on my phone.

"I can't; I'm starting now," I tell her as I open the door.

"Maybe when I get home?" I say, and she nods with a smile.
"Okay." She smiles back, and I jump out of the car and find my way inside. It's quiet so far in here. Grace gives me a big smile before turning back to the people she was getting an order from.

I haven't seen Willow since the day she kissed me, which was on Thursday, and today it's Monday. Since that day, I have missed her presence, even though meeting her would be weird and awkward after what happened, which makes me nervous.

I get to the wardrobe and change into my work clothes. Still, I like them, they are so comfortable, and I like the shirt. It makes me feel weird to say this, but I think it fits me.

I finish up and go to the kitchen where Willow and her mother make food for everyone in the restaurant.

"Good day." Helen smiles at me.

"Good day, Helen." I smile back at the happy woman. She is always in a good mood, and I like it. Willow turns to look at me and give me a small smile before she goes back to cooking.

I hope that is a good sign. I know it was just a small gesture, but at least she isn't ignoring me.

It's almost closing time now. There is just a family left in the restaurant. They are almost done, so I'm just changing back to my regular clothes. As I was about to take on my shirt, I heard the door open.

Willow stands there looking at me, but then her gaze fell on something else as I caught her staring at me.

"They have left now." She says.

"Okay." I nod to her as I look for my jacket.

"You need a drive home?" Willow asks.

"No, my mom is picking me up today." I smile at her, but she doesn't smile back. Honestly, she seems a little sad about it.

"I guess I see you tomorrow then." She tells me as she is on the way out, but I walk after her.

"Hey, wait up," I say as I walk fast after her to be by her side.

"Are you okay?" I wonder.

"Yeah, I am okay." She smiles at me, but it's not enough of a smile. I grab her wrist to stop her and stand in front of her. Willow's green eyes are staring down at me, a little confused but also curious.

"Are you sure?" I ask, and she nods, which makes me sigh in frustration. She won't talk to me, of course, she won't.

"Why won't you talk to me?" I question, but she shrugs.

"Do you like me or not?" I ask, and I wait patiently for my answer.

"Yes." She says, and I breathe out, relieved.

"Then why don't you talk to me? It feels like there are light years between you and me." I say out in frustration. I groan after I heard mom honk the horn. She is waiting impatiently, no wonder it's getting late, and she has been working most of the day.

"I like you a lot, Harley, I do. It's just..."

"Complicated." I finish and look down at the floor in sadness.

"I'm sorry," She shakes her head, and I can see in her eyes that she is about to cry.

"My walls are impossible to break, Harley." Willow is full of misery right now. You can see it all in her perfect green eyes. I take her hands in mine and stare right into those wet eyes.

"I'm not trying to break your walls, Willow. I'm trying to jump over them." She now looks at me bewildered as she takes away the tear that fell down her cheek.

"What makes the difference?" She wonders, and I smile at her question.

"The difference is that I will be in there with you."