3. Can we get pancakes?

I wake up in a rush. Completely confused. I look around, not sure of what just happened. My dream was not the same as it has always been. This time she didn't touch me or tried to kiss me. She just stood there watching me until she turned around and walked away. What does that mean? Was it because of what happened yesterday, or is it trying to tell me something else?

"Harley! I am leaving now!" Dad shouts.

"Okay!" I yell back and groan as I take the duvet over my head. It's Saturday, and I have to use my whole day watching my brother. I guess it will be okay, like every other time. I get out of bed, knowing Jake is most likely awake and waiting for breakfast.

I get dressed in a hurry and step downstairs. Jake is sitting on the couch, watching TV. That sad look on his face never seems to go away.

"You okay?" I wonder as I just sat next to him, but he doesn't answer, just looking at the screen.

"What do you say to go out and eat breakfast today?" I ask him, his whole face lights up.

"Can we get pancakes?" He asks, and I look at him strangely.

"Mom always took me to this place, and their pancakes were so good." He grins, but I am still confused.

"What place? Mom never took me to any place with pancakes." I say, and his eyes widen.

"It was supposed to be a secret," Jake tells me, but then the same sad face comes on his face.

"But since mom moved out, we haven't been there." He says.

"Well, let's go then." I smile, turning off the TV, and drag my brother with me. I tie his shoes and then help him into the car. The car starts nicely, but then realize that I have no destination.

"Where is this place?" I ask, but he shrugs in the back seat. I sigh as I pick up my phone to call my mom. After a little moment, she answers, and I ask for the address.

"Okay, now we can go," I say to my brother and start driving.

After fifteen minutes, I stop the car in front of a small nice place. It looks cozy. I wonder why mom never told me about this place—it bugs me.

I take my brother's hand in mine to get inside. It's tranquil here and not many people. It might be because it's still early.

"There is a nice lady in here somewhere. She is always here." Jake tells me, and I smile at him as I find us a place to sit next to the window. It's sunny today, but also a little cold.

I look through the menu to see if there is something nice, but I find myself drawn to the pancakes that my brother talks about all the time.

"What can I do for you... oh, hey, Jake." I turn my head around, and my eyes widen; it's her.

"Hi, Willow." Jake smiles at her, but then she looks at me.

"Nice to see you again, Harley." She says to me, and I can't get a word out of my mouth, but then I feel a kick in my leg. I watch my brother with anger.

"Do you know each other?" He asks both of us.

"No, Not really," I answer, watching her smile at me nicely.

"So, um, what can I get for you?" She wonders. I don't know if the smile on her face is real or not, because it's very bright, but then again, she is supposed to smile in this kind of work.

"Pancakes, of course." My brother grins, which makes me roll my eyes at how silly he looks like when excited.

"Of course." Willow winks to Jake.

"I am coming back soon." She steps away into the kitchen.

"Why are you acting so weird?" Jake asks me.

"I am not acting weird." I defend myself.

"Yeah, you were. You were staring at her as if you saw a ghost." He tells me, but I look out the window. Ignoring him completely. I am too tired to argue with a six-year-old.

Then there is the dream I had this night. It's so confusing. It's been the same for a year, but now it's different and most likely the reason I met her.

"How old is she?" I whisper to my brother. I am curious about her. Of course, I am; how could I not? When she took over my head the last year.

"Twenty-something." He shrugs, well like I couldn't see that for myself.

"Here you go." She puts down our plates carefully. The smell is so good. I didn't know I was this hungry.

"You made them, right?" Jake asks, looking hopefully up at Willow.

"I always do. You know that." She smiles at him, but no matter how many times I see it, it doesn't feel real. It's like she has to force a smile.

"Enjoy." She says and disappears away to the kitchen again. I start to eat my breakfast and fall in love with these pancakes right away.

"I said they were good." Jake reminds me with his mouth full of food.

"Don't eat and talk," I say, but he reaches out his tongue, which is disgusting.

"She owns this place, and she is always here." He informs me, and I nod. I don't have time for talking, just tasting my delicious breakfast. Now I am mad at my mom for not taking me here. If she did, I would have met Willow earlier and got to eat the world's best pancakes.

"I come back, okay?" I tell my brother after finishing.

"Okay." He nods, and I find my way to the kitchen, looking after Willow. I see her standing while reading a recipe book and an older woman who is washing some dishes.

"Willow?" I call her name, and her green eyes land on me right away.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" I ask; she seems a bit worried but nods and step over to me anyways.

"Is there something wrong with the food?" She asks me, and my eyes widen.

"No! Not at all. It was so good." I tell her, but then feel the fire in my cheeks. Now she watches me confused, but patient.

"I wanted to tell you that I am very grateful for what you did for me yesterday," I tell her, finally getting to really thank her since she just disappeared last night.

"No problem. He was a total ass anyway." She shrugs, and I smile at her words.

"May I ask why you were there? I mean, you seemed a bit older than the rest of us." I say, but feel kind of stupid that I did.

"I was driving my friend there, and I am not that old." She chuckles.

"How old are you?" I ask straight out, I know it's rude to do so, but I am so curious. It's one of the parts of me that I can't handle very well.

"I am only twenty-two," Willow answers, but she does not seem offended in any way I asked her, more like amused by me.

"And how old are you?" She wonders.

"I turn eighteen," I tell her and hear footsteps behind me.

"Can we go home?" Jake asks me.

"Yeah, sure," I say, and I watch him find his way out to my car.

"Thank you for the pancakes and everything." I smile at her and hand over the money for the food.

"It's on the house." She smiles at me, but I watch her, unsure for a moment.

"Okay, thank you." I nod gratefully. Then step out to my brother, who is waiting next to my car.

"Let's go home."