𝓋𝒶𝓁𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑒'𝓈 𝒹𝒶𝓎

4

_______________

FOUR YEARS AGO

THE QUEEN'S PALACE, WALL SINA

A silver spoon clinks against a champagne glass, gathering everyone's attention.

"It has been four months since the Battle at Shinganshina," Historia speaks proudly, "where our brave soldiers dedicated their hearts so that they could take back Wall Maria, and restore the dignity that was once stolen from us."

She stands at the center of the ballroom, the only open space left for dancing. Tables fill the venue, each guest sitting with a glass in their hands and their eyes trained on her. It is a joy to witness: Military Police, Garrison, and Survey Corps alike joining together in this formal event to celebrate their recent victory as a military, a victory that's impacted civilization to the greatest degree.

Historia turns her attention to the Survey Corps table now, the table with the fewest members occupying it. "If it weren't for you, brave soldiers, who were willing to lay down your individual futures for the whole future of Eldians, Paradis would not be as strong as it is today. We look forward to our citizens returning to their rightful land in the spring, and continuing their livelihood as it was before that fateful day in 845 when the enemy first invaded."

She takes a breath, letting the darkness in her tone secede. "And now," she says more cheerfully, and raises her glass, "a toast!"

Everyone stands respectably and raises their glasses along with her.

"To future victories!" Historia smiles, "and to a thriving, united, and persevering Eldian society! Cheers!"

The live music resumes as everyone downs their glasses, the harpsichordist plucking out a beautiful melody. Chatter and diatribe continue, some individuals even getting up to dance.

The majority of the Survey Corps members, however, remain at their seats.

"I don't know how she does it," says Connie, stifling a sleepy yawn. His gaze follows Historia as she turns to talk to some military officials. "How can she stand having an entire race look up to her?"

"Must be that goddess charm," Jean grumbles as he fiddles with his tie that seems to unravel every 5 seconds.

"You and Eren are one and the same," An exasperated voice comes up beside him.

Johanna sits next to Jean, having just returned from the restroom. She begins to undo his tie for him and adjusts it properly.

Jean scowls in embarrassment, "Psh. Don't compare me to that blockhead."

"Sasha, slow down. You're going to choke!" Armin warns, watching the brunette drearily as she wolfs down a third serving of mashed potatoes.

"If she does, you try and knock the piece of food out of her throat. I did it last time," Mikasa sighs.

Johanna gives Jean's collar one final tug, straightening it out. "If you don't want to be babied, don't act like one. And learn how to tie a tie correctly."

Connie smirks, turning to look at her from across the table. "Since when did you get all domestic? Gosh, you've been in love for too long."