𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 𝙩𝙞𝙩𝙖𝙣

✱✱✱

TIME IS NONEXISTENT.

Trost District, once bursting with color and liveliness, is now a pitiful sight. Dark, spiritless, and gruesome.

How many hours has it been? wonders Jean. He feels his body and soul are decaying on this rooftop. But it doesn't matter how bad he wants to move, how bad he itches to get up and do something. The gas left in his tank is unreliable. It will be too risky to fly off with the little amount he has left.

As for the other people stuck here with him... well, either they have the same gas problem, or they have seen things far too traumatizing to continue with the battle. Some pace around, muttering to themselves quietly and trying to formulate a plan; others keep to what is left of their friend groups with mournful expressions on their faces; and the rest... well, let's just say they don't look like people anymore. They resemble empty shells; sitting with their knees pulled in, eyes hollow.

Jean clutches the shingles of the roof beneath him, fingernails digging painfully. He is overwhelmed. There's a cocktail of emotions swirling inside him. But depression is getting dominant. He thinks of his own life. Memories flash in his mind, but they bring him only displeasure. So much time wasted... so many things he still wants to do... and now he will never get the chance.

"Come on, guys! We can do it!" He hears Sasha as she tries to animate some people. But to no avail.

Jean sighs. He hopes against hope that Johanna will turn up soon.

The whir of ODM gear. A set of feet landed on the roof. Have his prayers been answered?

No. Its Mikasa instead, marching past the horde of soldiers. His heart flares a little at the sight of her. At least she's alive. One less person on the deceased list, right?

Mikasa scans the rooftop. Nerves are eating away at her worse than any Titan could. She keeps herself composed despite this, and approaches Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, and Marco, who all stand together in a corner.

She interrupts their hushed conversation. "Annie!" She says to the blonde, and all four of them turned to look at her. "I know this is letting personal matters get in the way... but have you seen Eren or Jo anywhere?"

"Wait," Annie's usually stony face shifts to concern. "Jo is missing?"

"Jo's missing?" Another voice speaks up. It is Jean. He had heard them from across the roof.

Mikasa can't bear to see his anguish, so she looks down at her boots, feeling a pang of guilt. "She... went to go check on Eren for me. She said she'd be back in ten minutes, but... that was an hour ago! And I can't find her or Eren anywhere!"

Bertholdt and Marco's expressions are ones of hopelessness. Reiner's lips are slightly parted, stunned.

"B-but, she must be somewhere. Maybe she—"