𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝑒𝓉𝓊𝓇𝓃

2

_______________

On the other side of Trost, near the lush forest outskirts and situated on long, flat plains that seem to stretch out forever is the training camp for the Cadet Corps.

In the large log cabin, the cafeteria is full of life and mirth. Lunchtime is the only opportunity the seasoned cadets get to relax and converse freely amongst themselves, and they'll be damned if they let this brief slice of freedom go to waste.

"Everyone knows there's mutiny and corruption going on inside the Survey Corps." Isaiah takes another swig of his ale, pausing to swallow and gather his thoughts before continuing at full volume, "just look at the way they let their last Commander die! Let's not fool ourselves, Erwin Smith should've been revived."

Several people murmur vague responses, but only in hopes that he'll shut up.

Isaiah is the type to voice his opinions without remorse to whoever has ears. Thanks to this unlikeable characteristic, lunchtime is prone to fights and oppositional outbursts.

Two tables away from Isaiah sit three cadets; the most bright-eyed and bushy-tailed of the entire bunch. They treat every gruesome day of training like a challenge, possessed by a constant need to prove themselves to... well, to themselves. Truthfully, this trio has never shown any interest in making more friends then they've already established. An unspoken code guides their every decision. Live for yourself. Perhaps the world molded them into the people they are today. Or perhaps, they were born with this mantra already etched into their hearts.

Louise, however, will argue any day when prompted that it was indeed the world and its experiences that shaped her into the courageous cadet she's proud to be today.

"I can't stand him," She complains, her chin propped up on her hand. She watches Isaiah's arrogant body language from afar, eagle-like.

"Psh. Can anyone?" Surma scoffs. He is the most opinionated of the three. And if it isn't for his friends constantly telling him not to draw attention to their group, he'd happily engage in a battle of wits with Isaiah whenever the opportunity shows itself.

Caleb yawns. "Oh well. Good thing its our last day, right? We only have to put up with him for twenty-four more hours. Perhaps even less! Depends how fast he runs from here to the Military Police."

Surma takes a second to wipe his glasses clean. "He'll run pretty fast. Nit-wit... he doesn't even process what he's saying half the time..."

"Oh and don't get me started on their foreign relations schemes. They're conspiring with foreigners overseas, bargaining to save only a select few from this island for when war truly breaks out. You'll see, they only want to save their own assess. The highest ranking officers and probably that Jaeger guy will be the ones to make it out. The rest of us are screwed."

Finally, the straw that broke the camel's back. Surma's temper snaps. He jolts up like his legs decided to work of their own accord. "You're wrong! Eren Jaeger would never do that!"

Several heads turn to the outcry. Isaiah fixes a glare on the bespectacled young man. "Here we go again. I can't believe fanatics like you are allowed to join the ranks." He drawls.

"Oh no..." Caleb massages his forehead in resignation. He knows how this will end: not pretty.

"Eren Jaeger is going to save us all! He's done it before. He's the whole reason this city still exists. He plugged up Trost all by himself!" Surma implores, "He actually cares about Eldian survival."