𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝓇𝒾𝒸𝑒 𝓌𝑒 𝓅𝒶𝓎

6

_______________

Johanna takes her time gliding over the city, wishing the pitch-black night could swallow her up and out of existence, or that the wind could blow a gust that'll sweep her up and take her anywhere else. To another world. Or some other plane of existence.

What an absurd notion.

There's no escape from the holes humanity has dug for itself. You only get one life in one world, doesn't matter how filled with horror and pain it may be.

Memories flood back like a tidal wave; many of them are treasured, but several are painful as well.

If she could send only one day out of her entire life to damnation, it'd be that day... when the Survey Corps traveled to Marley for the first time...

That wretched day when everything changed. Collapsed on her like a house of cards.

No... except it didn't just change because fate decided it should. He changed the course of their future. He turned the tables on her.

Pieces of that day flash back at her: the sand between her toes, the unbearable chill of the night, saltwater mingling with her tears...

Don't think about it, she reprimands herself. Don't get sucked back in. It's not the time or place. You're past this.

Realizing she can no longer avoid the airship overhead, she shoots an anchor onto the railing and the wire retracts, pulling her weight up. She takes one final look at the terrorized city below and frowns. After this plight of destruction and warfare, there is no doubt in her mind that all their names have been stamped in the innermost circle of hell.

Stuff like this... doesn't go unaccounted for. You don't just do monstrous things and get away with it.

The Survey Corps... Eldians... they'll pay the price for this. Hopefully later rather than soon.

The door is being held open for her. A short-haired Armin quickly grabs her and helps her up. His gentle face, no longer clouded under a mop of thick blond hair, radiates familiarity and warmth.

Jo's feet finally steady on the floor. It feels weird after being in mid-air for so long.

She's about to thank Armin when suddenly Levi moves him aside, crushing her in a hug that's more painful than tender.

Over his shoulder, she can see multiple soldiers reacting in surprise. She lets out a nervous chuckle, which sounds more like a constricted wheeze, and gently pats his back.

"Tch, what took you so long?" He lets go and his eyes narrow at the jarring slice across her cheek. "Who did that to you?"

"Nobo-"

"It- It was me!" Jean steps forward and the look Levi gives him sends a jolt of fear up his spine. He immediately clarifies, "I mean, I didn't do it. But I wasn't being careful enough and she had to improvise a risky maneuver to save my life. It's my fault, sir."

"Oh, shut up." Johanna says exasperatedly. She takes a quick gander of the room and starts counting heads. "Is everyone here?"

Levi sours. "We're still waiting on the star of the show..."

Johanna starts taking her gear and metal off, immediately feeling 50 pounds lighter. She pops her neck. The muscles in her body are leaden with exhaustion. Collapsing actually sounds pretty good right now. All she wants is to drop where she stands and just take a nap.