𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒉

WE WATCH AS the Armored Titan gets in his stance.

"Erwin," Levi speaks up, "He's getting ready to climb."

"Soldiers! Do not engage with the Armored yet! Maintain a safe distance!" Commander Erwin orders.

With the operation coming to a screeching stop, Commander Erwin has stolen a few precious minutes to collect himself. It all comes down to now. The stakes are higher than ever this time. The way it's looking... this could really be the end of the Survey Corps as a whole.

The Armored titan approaches the wall and starts climbing, his elongated fingers digging into the cement. I don't have anything to say. The loathing I'm feeling cannot be expressed in words. I only stare down the wall at him. Quiet.

"Hanji, why doesn't he have us attack? What's he thinking?" Eren says, the desperation clear in his face.

The bespectacled scientist is slow to respond, obviously calculating. "The enemy has prepared quite the welcome. Erwin's watching their movements for now. He doesn't want to act until he's found out their strategy." She explains lowly.

"Lets hope he still has his wits about him. A trick up his sleeve." I mumble as I stare at a dog-like titan on all fours, carrying some type of cargo strapped to its back, "Maybe one of those gambles."

The Commander snaps back into action. "Dirk's squad and Marlene's squad, join Klaus's Squad and protect the horses at the gate!" He points to us, "Levi Squad and Hanji Squad, work together to kill the Armored Titan! Deploy the thunder-spears at your own discretion! Do whatever it takes to achieve your objective!" He faces forward again with a virtuous gaze, "This is our moment! Our chance to strike! The fate of human kind depends on this battle. Lay down your hearts and lives one final time for humanity! Move out!"

The squads go their designated ways; I'm about to activate my gear and follow Hanji when I notice my father get called back by the Commander.

I know that I should act on orders immediately, but I don't care. If it concerns my father... and what he'll be doing... knowing commander Erwin, he's just playing the pawns he has. He's not scared of thrusting a soldier into a dangerous circumstance as long as the shoe fits.

"... so I'll protect the horses instead of Eren?" Levi says with a skeptical raise of his eyebrow.

"That's right." Commander Erwin confirms. "And when the opportunity arises," he gestures with his sword at the hairy titan sitting in the center of the titan ring. "You need to strike him down. You're the only soldier I can trust to dispatch the Beast Titan."

Levi's eyes notice me. He does not waver from his superior's orders, though. "Understood. I was too slow to kill the Armored earlier. But I'll atone for that by killing this one."

"I'll help." I interrupt.

"Not a chance," Levi says immediately, and something in his tone is warning me to stand down.

"That thing is humongous and we're still not familiar enough with it to know if it has any special powers." I point out. I then turn to the Commander, who seems understanding, but not convinced. "You can't make him go at it alone."

The Commander is about to speak but Levi cuts him off.  "It's not your call, brat." He tells me with finality. He faces Erwin, "I'll take care of it."

Whether he's referring to the Beast Titan or to me, I can't be sure. He salutes and turns, dragging me away by the elbow. "You've got nerve." He says.

I fold my arms. Part of me wants to be mad at him. The other part is incapable of it. "Let me help you."

"Johanna Rose Ackerman, you have a position to fill in your designated squad. How many times do we have to go over this— learn not to question higher authority. What part of that do you not—" he stops, and for a moment he is truly shocked. "Are you... crying?"