𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙣 𝙢𝙚𝙚𝙩𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙮𝙚

✱✱✱

IF I HAD A dime for every time these people asked me, Why are you here?. Well, let's just say I'd be able to afford living in the King's palace.

Ah, here comes another one.

"So... it's pretty clear why Eren's here. The poor thing..." A girl with ginger hair says to me. We ride our horses side by side. "I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm kind of clueless as to why you're here? Sorry. Please don't think I'm—"

"No, it's fine." I say, plastering on a smile for her sake. Introductions are the last thing I feel like doing. But I have no other choice. Why? Well, it seems Corporal Levi told his whole squad about Eren, but completely left me out of the picture. And I have a feeling it's not a matter of forgetfulness. But be that as it may, I will try to be on good terms with his squad, even if the Corporal himself has something against me.

What a jerk... I think, sneaking a glare as he rides ahead, leading the way.

I go back to answering her question. "I'm here because I have no citizenship. It was as much of a surprise to me as it was to others, let me tell you." I say with a dry chuckle. I then nod towards the Corporal half-heartedly. "But Humanity's Strongest over here saved the day. Now I'm under custody of the Survey Corps..."

"Wow, Corporal Levi made that happen?" The ginger says. A professional admiration shines in her eyes. I can tell she's served in his squad for years now. Actually, all four of Squad Levi's members are very tight-knit. I don't know precisely how to explain it, but maybe its the warm, safe auras whenever they speak with each other. Familiarity... comfort... like they've known each other since the beginning of time.

"Its a surprise to hear that. I don't know if you've noticed, but... he's not a charming kind of person. You'll be lucky to even get a handshake on the first meeting. But for him to step in and make such a decision for a complete stranger like you..." she looks at me with child-like curiosity. "I wonder what he sees in you."

Ha. No offense to this girl, I think she's sweet and all, but I'm not taking this bullcrap.

"Yeah, romanticize it all you want. He thinks I might be from outside the walls, which in his eyes makes me a threat. Or... I think that's what he thinks. To be honest, I wonder if it's all a cover-up." I squint and stare at the back of Corporal Levi's head from a distance, thoughtful. "Why not gather every single undocumented person and put them under the Survey Corps' custody? You know, since he's so generous..."

"Hm, you're right. It doesn't add up." She says and squeals deviously. "Oh! I love mysteries like this! How about we get to the bottom of this together, hm? You seem like a nice, honest person. Let's be friends! Plus, it's great to finally have another girl around." She says with a nod towards her squadmates. The sincerity in her honey-brown eyes is impossible to refuse. "So, what's your name?"