𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓉𝒽

«If you must die, die knowing your life
was my life's best part»

Paths rake across the sky, tangling together, glimmering in cerulean blue

Ymir watches the patterns with a stone-face, standing silently. Unsatisfied.

Things still haven't aligned the way she wants them to. If only he'd give up. If only he could see that its useless.

She averts her gaze, narrowing on the boy next to her, a cascade of tears falling soundlessly from his face, his head hanging miserably.

"Enough." She tells Eren, her voice echoing. "When will you learn? This is the way its meant to be. You cannot change destiny."

He doesn't respond.

She sits down, her legs crossed. "You may be able to see the future, alter memories, re-start a timeline, but I am the one who manipulates the events."

Still, nothing.

Ymir turns her attention to the Paths again. "By now they should be attempting to kill you. Tell me what to do. Would you like to let your friends win, or fight back?"

Eren's teal eyes glower at her beneath the curtain of hair obscuring his face. "I want... Johanna... to live."

Ymir does not waver. "It is her destiny to die."

"Why?"

"As I have mentioned before, its to restore balance."

"Why do you need balance?"

"As I have mentioned before, its to compensate for a mistake."

"Who's mistake?"

Ymir hesitates. Her lips part, at last, and she utters in her usual dead tone. "Mine."

Its been a countless amount of lifetimes since he entered this place, Paths, and ever since his arrival, where he's been prisoner, he's probably had this conversation with Ymir a million separate times. Each time in hopes of making some headway towards a solution.

"Tell me, what was your mistake." Eren inquires.

"I cannot say."

"Just because you made a mistake, doesn't mean others-- like Johanna-- need to suffer for it. Why is she, of all people, the sacrifice to restore balance?"

"I cannot say."

The chains rattle, screeching as he lunges forward but is held back. He shoots a defeated glance at the magical chains fusing him to the tree. The mysterious tree of light that feeds into the Paths.