𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙘𝙪𝙚

✱✱✱

WHY DOES LIFE have to be this way. Why does it give you everything, and then take it away? Levi could never understand this concept. But it always, always came around to bite the Survey Corps in the ass.

They were so close. Victory had grazed their fingertips only to fall out of reach. The female titan called that horde of titans and had herself purposely devoured. Why she chose to subject herself to such a torture puzzled many.

But Erwin, nevertheless, is one step ahead of everybody.

"They escaped. The operator, the human inside the Titan, got away from us. Right under our noses." He says as he, Levi, and a team of soldiers ride through the forest. They search hopelessly for the culprit.

Levi might appear fearless and unshakeable on the outside, but on the inside, he isn't sure how much more he can take. So much effort and so many sacrifices, only for the convict to get away. This whole mission is a giant screw up.

A piercing roar. They all snap their heads towards the sound. The whole forest shudders as the sound reverberates from tree to tree.

There are two titan-shifters in the vicinity: the female titan and Eren. But only one of them is capable of a lunatic scream like that. It was hot-tempered, and all too familiar...

Jaeger.

Levi flies off his horse, not bothering to tell Erwin where he's going. He doesn't need to. They are all thinking the same: Eren isn't allowed to transform unless absolutely necessary. Why is it necessary now?

But Levi begins to get an inkling why.

Despite these suspicions, nothing could have prepared him for the horrible path ahead as he follows the distant roaring. First is Günther... Hanging upside down, bloody, eyes open but not seeing. Next is Eld. Well, part of him. The rest is nowhere to be found, most likely swallowed. Levi tries to ignore the red stains on the grass and proceeds. Oluo wasn't spared either. After ten minutes of more flying around, Levi finds him face down in the ground, mouth open with the ghost of his last scream still on his face. Levi does not dwell, although he notices his heart feels heavier than before. Before all of this. Perhaps there's still hope. Petra is a highly skilled soldier, very independent, and very capable—

She's slumped against a tree. Blood smeared on her cheek. Like Günther, her eyes remain open just a peak, but absolutely lifeless. Dead.

Four beautiful people. A whole squad of the finest soldiers... wiped out.

He no longer hears Eren's monstrous roars. They've stopped. He hears only footsteps now, and far away, if he squints enough past the trees, he can see a muscled pink figure running away. Its not Eren, but instead the female titan. And she probably has the boy with her.

Levi wants to chase after her, but he can't bring himself to do it, not until he knows where she is. Jet-black hair and blue eyes duller than the barrel of a gun. Where is that brat?