𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓈

8

»You only know what I want you to
I know everything you don't want me to
Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
You think your dreams are the same as mine

Oh I don't love you, but I always will.»

—The Civil Wars

_______________

"So... you're going to stay?"

The young recruits trail after Jo like spring chicks following their mother hen.

"Yes," Jo confirms as she walks to the cafeteria. "I've already talked to Commander Hanji about it. They apparently need a Lieutenant anyway. An acting superior for when the Corporal is unavailable..."

She grabs an apple and heads out.

Louise tries to keep up with her. "What changed your mind? Was it the death of your comrade?"

Caleb facepalms. "Oh my god, Louise."

Surma shakes his head. "This girl..."

If Johanna didn't spend two years training Louise and putting up with her sometimes naive questions, she'd be triggered by such an abrupt and painful reminder of her deceased friend. But she knows the girl means well. Like a constantly concerned 3-year old who was never handed paper and crayons to keep herself busy.

Another reason Jo can't be upset is that... Louise is absolutely right.

"Yes, actually." the young Ackerman admits. But she doesn't elaborate. The truth is, there's no going back anymore. Now that Sasha's gone, Jo can't find it in herself to tap out. It'd be wrong. She already did her comrades a disservice by leaving 2 years ago. She can't leave them again, go back to her comfortable instructing job in the Training Corps, and let them grieve on their own while simultaneously juggling all this political-overseas-warfare mess.

Besides... Sasha would've wanted the gang to stay together.

Moreover, now that Eren is back in Paradis... and potentially scheming with Zeke to act against the Survey Corps... not being here to monitor him would be one more addition to the list of things that keep her up at night.

"Not only that," Caleb says and throws an arm around her as they walk down the hall leading to the dungeons. "She also can't stand being away from me. Right?"

"Oh, totally." Jo rolls her eyes and takes a bite of her hastily eaten apple. "Light of my life."

She tosses the apple core over her shoulder for Surma to catch. The tall boy misses it completely.

"Alright, brats. Fun's over. You're not allowed any further than this." She says and they halt, pouting. "And Surma, how many times do I have to say it— go see one of the nurses for replacement glasses."

Surma nods vigorously, kneeling on the floor and feeling around blindly for the apple core. "Y-Yes, instructor!"

Jo walks to a door that leads downstairs and sighs softly, disappearing behind it. "Not your instructor anymore..."

╳ ╳ ╳

"He wants to shower," Levi says as Johanna comes down the stairs.