𝙗𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙩

7
——

✱✱✱

(5 hours earlier)

HOT. BOILING.

Dropping into the Titan's stomach, I'm submerged in a pool of boiling fluid. Every inch of my body burns. I claw my way up, half swimming and half desperate flailing, until my head breaks the surface and I'm allowed to breathe again. Except what I'm breathing can barely be called air. It feels like inhaling fire, shriveling my lungs and every other intestine in my body.

Blood. The boiling fluid in which I struggle to stay above is blood. It coats my hair, it hangs on my eyelashes, its up my nostrils and worst of all, its in my mouth.

A wave of nausea hits me.

And it only gets worse once I notice all the dead bodies floating around me. Face down, floating face up, beneath me as accidentally kick them. Eyes open and blank and soulless. Eyes closed with mouths ajar in their last cry for salvation. Limbs stiff and lifeless in their postmortem state, some arms and legs drifting without their owner. A torso here, a bobbing head over there.

Some of the body parts are too small to belong to an adult.

I lose it. I fucking lose it.

I scream, the sound echoing off the walls, bouncing right back to me. Senseless screams so loud that it stirs ripples in the blood. Backing away in hopes of escaping the bodies, I bump right into one, then another, and I don't know what else to do but cry and scream; tearing my throat to shreds with the force of a thousand banshees. Whether I'm crying blood or tears is unclear. There's no telling them apart as they roll off my chin and drip down.

Splash! Something breaks the surface next to me. I don't register it properly, stuck in a mental break. I try fighting it off hysterically as it continues to get ahold of me.

"Johanna! Ah— stop! Johanna, it's me!"

Its no dead person suddenly come to life. Its Eren. He blocks all my hits with one arm. One arm? I start to calm down, recognizing those startling eyes even under the blood painting his face, and then I look at his... well, the remnants of his left shoulder.

"Oh my god," I quip, "Eren... Your—"

"It hardly matters right now." He says grimly and looks around. "This is hell."

The thick, acidic air is becoming too much. A wave of exhaustion has me in its clutches. Everything fogs, my vision spotting.

"No!" Eren scoops me up as I start to sink. He struggles to hold me with his one arm. "Johanna, please, you can't die first. Please, I can't watch you die like this."