20: Which Will You Choose?

(Fenrir's P.O.V)

"You don't break so easily...lord Fenrir."

I spluttered as another glob of blood fell from my lips and onto the dusty stone floor. My chest was on fire, and my stomach ached with fatigue and tenderness. The last blast of magic had ricocheted into my ribs and sent a burning fire through my abdomen and up my throat. More and more I coughed, hacking blood and small amounts of flesh onto the floor infront of me.

The shackles that held my wrists behind my back and tethered me to the basement wall jangled as I swooned. Diedrich had been at this for what felt like atleast two hours now, and wasn't showing any inkling of stopping.

He clearly wanted to break me.

"I...will never...give up..." I panted through my words, even as my voice came out; both hoarse and exhausted. I promised Kelly I would do everything in my power to protect her. I had taken an oath in the army, that I would do whatever it took to ensure the safety of my comrades, and my King.

I couldn't sway now.

I would endure whatever it took to keep those I loved, safe.

Diedrich, the lone butler of my familys' estate, merely shrugged as he began to conjure another blast of Magic in his hand.

"You will eventually. As a non-magic human, you won't be able to endure these attacks forever. I know that, and I know you do too."

The servant infront of me had helped raise me from childhood. He taught me lessons in history, english, math and music. He was no stranger to my knowledge of the Godspeed past in Cradle, and having been my gateway into understanding Magic and it's principles, he knew I was familiar with crystals and their volatility.

But just because he knew I couldn't withstand Magic forever, didn't mean I wasn't going to try.

I grit my teeth through another wave of exhausted suffering that overtook me from my various injuries.

"I...don't understand...why you would do this.." I rose my eyes to meet with Diedrich's.

"Why, Diedrich? Why is it so...i-important that I take over the Godspeed family business? Why does it have to be me? "

The servant held my gaze as he considered the weight of my words, and whether or not he would respond. Just when I thought he wouldn't reply, he stepped closer to me, kneeling down infront of my crumpled form as I sat, panting through my pain. I felt even more apprehensive as he broke into a suspicious smirk.

He sprang forth and roughly pulled my chin up to face him.

"Sir...this won't simply be a warning. I suggest you agree to the terms that Madam Godspeed has asked...or you will suffer a great deal."

His expression turned then. From a simple butler, to an enemy.

"You, and your Black Army. Even Alice. You don't know it yet, but you will all suffer..."

Never, since the moment Diedrich had come to live in the castle as a full time servant, had I seen him stare at me this way.

His iris's were the size of a pin, and  he was smiling. As if his life mattered more when it was driven by the promise of chaos.

A burning hunger, craving the need for answers, lit up in my chest.

Mother...what have you done to him?

"Diedrich?"

A feminine voice called through the heavy wood door of the dungeon as a female threw it open and stepped inside.