19: Duplicity

(flashback, Fenrir P.O.V, during the meeting with the black Army prior to the festival)

"Very well. You are dismissed."

Once Ray had briefed us on the rest of our duties this evening, he stood up from his desk and nodded for us all to head out.

Now that we'd been given the information on the coming war as well, we were instructed to prepare our strategies and bring them to the next meeting tomorrow morning. There was surely not much time before Mystic and the Magic Tower would strike.

But, for now, that could wait. We had a fundraiser to put on.

I rolled my shoulders to ease off some of the stress I was feeling and pushed open the office door. I stepped out--

"Fenrir."

My best friend's voice stopped me. I turned around to gaze his way.

"Yeah?"

"How are you feeling, now that you have the new intel from Lancelot?"

It was clear Ray still had some lingering thoughts about me, specifically. I stepped back inside the office and closed the door.

"It's not...the best news, but not knowing would prove more troublesome." I sighed softly and began itching at the back of my neck out of habit.

"Have you decided if you're going to tell Kelly?"

I swallowed and looked down towards my feet.

This information would surely put her on edge. But not knowing could scare her even more..

I nodded in reply to Ray.

"I will tell her. It's only fair, and if she isn't aware, it could prove to be more dangerous for her."

The Black King leant against his desk and crossed his arms.

"I know this war is going to be alot for you. You'll have to face your parents, and you'll have to fight them to understand their motives behind this ridiculous plan. But you also want to protect Kelly, and keep her as close to you as possible..."

My stomach sank a little, but all I could retaliate with was a smirk.

"I'm that predictable, huh?" Ray's eyes met mine and he chuckled lightly.

"I've known you for too long. I can practically read your thoughts by now."

I grinned, baring my teeth in a dopey smile.

"Heh, heh. Got me there."

The silly moment between us subsided much too soon, and I felt the pressure of determining our next move settle back on my shoulders.

I sighed again, unable to keep myself from the habit.

"I got her into this mess, and I promised her I would get her out. She's calmer around me, so I thought if I could keep her close during the war..."

"You know as well as I do that with the firepower we can only expect that they have, Mystic won't take prisoners lightly. You can't protect her for every minute of this war, Fenrir."

I had known Ray for long enough to know that his heart to heart talks were straight forward and blunt. Sometimes I could handle the heavy words he spoke, sometimes I couldn't.

Today...I was unsure if I could let his advice settle on me.

Damnit...why did my parents do this...? Why couldn't things just calm down...